North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

mix canada and swan decoys?

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Clark, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

I'm thinking about having a group of Canada decoys and a group of swan decoys and hunting in the middle. Anybody experience any issues with this?
    Thanks!

2. PrairieDream'n

PrairieDream'n Senior Refuge Member

I've killed ducks, Canadas, snows, and swan all in the same field on a few occasions... just keep in mind that as a general rule, swan don't play well with dark geese by their nature to bully them around on the feed....I'd put the Canadas way off to one side by themselves, like 75+ yds up wind. The Canadas are probably hitting the field first, so get downwind of them early then adjust your blinds as the swan start flying..

3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

The two definitely dont get along. There is a reason people use swan decoys to keep geese off ponds. I've also seen swan avoid a rig of goose decoys (swan decoys were out too) in a place that is normally a gimme on killing swan.

4. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

OK, maybe I just want to stick with all white decoys... time to see if I can find those old snow goose shells!
    Thanks for the advice, guys!

5. PrairieDream'n

PrairieDream'n Senior Refuge Member

Yeah, unless you have a place where you can truly get into a decent mixed bag and don't mind a lot of moving and adjusting, I'd just stick with white. That first flock of dark geese will tell you all you need to know anyway, pay attention to how they slide off if they avoid your spread and just go there and pass shoot the subsequent flocks until the swan start moving.
    Good luck!

6. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

We've shot them on the water over decoys in NoDak, but the swans were always set as far apart and upwind from the rest of the spread as possible. Can't even fathom if it would work in a field set.

When it works, it is a cool thing to shoot a swan, geese, and ducks over the same spread.

7. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

Ive actually dropped all my swan decoys and use only canadas. I dont like a ton of white in my spread. We put out a few swan decoys for the youngins to kill one in currituck every now and then and mostly on afternoons but thats it.

creedsduckman and coachcornbread like this.
  8. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I've probably killed the majority of my swan over an all duck rig just as a by product of a duck hunt.