Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Money and Snow goose hunting.

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by isu22andy, Jan 18, 2019.

1. isu22andy

isu22andy Refuge Member

Everywhere you turn it says about 500 decoys is needed to hunt snows ... Now obviously its ideal if you can split 500 among 5 friends, but 5 guys have 5 different lifes , incomes, schedules, ect.. I am wondering how in the hell does a guy get into this and be consistently successful for lets say under 1000 bucks ? Is it even possible ? Everywhere you turn its 30-40 bucks a dozen for socks. 500 is 41 dozen. 41 dozen at 30bucks is $1230 bucks... plus ecallers, and fliers, your easily looking at 2 grand. And lets be honest, 500 is pretty bare minimum.... Any advice to help ease the pain or just jump in ?

2. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Just start somewhere. Save up and buy 10doz a year, 4 years you'll be at 500. Team up with people. If you have at last some decoys, probably more likely people will be willing to team. Make a cheap ecaller with a salvaged car head unit or amps. Each little piece gets you closer.

You can kill geese on an X feed field with a lot less than 500 decoys.

3. fboutdoors

fboutdoors Senior Refuge Member

You can build a caller for 50 bucks, 2 horn speakers 40 bucks and get as many decoys as budget will allow. Look for used decoys in the off season is the best to build on a budget yes it's a money pit but dam it's fun

4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

IMO, it's better to buy it all yourself and not share expenses. That way, there's no conflict on who's in control of what goes on. Start with what you can afford and build from there as you can. I think it's also important to decide from the start on what you want in a spread.....socks, fullbodies, floaters, flyers, etc. That way you save the hassle of buying/selling decoys.

marshmob and hunting1 like this.
  5. isu22andy

isu22andy Refuge Member

Can you fit 10 dozen socks in a rubber made tote ?

6. fboutdoors

fboutdoors Senior Refuge Member

If you buy socks with a break down backbone. Yep

7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Easily with the backbones that fold/collapse down. However, under certain situations, using bags is easier. When you have to carry decoys in, if using totes you have to get them back out of the field or somewhere out of view. With bags, fold them up in your blind or lay on them if you are in whites.

JRS likes this.
  8. timber hunter

timber hunter Elite Refuge Member

Good advice.

9. Hillybilly

Hillybilly New Member

I decided last season to put a goose spread together again. I used to hunt them with friends 15 years ago. And from past experience I agree with negooseman. If at all possible buy everything yourself. It will take a little more time and money but the lack of frustration and headaches will be worth it.
    I know they’re not the best but I built my own snow goose silhouettes to get the process started. Then I began picking up windsocks when they were on sale or I found a good deal. Sounds silly but all summer I had a drawer I’d drop the occasional $10-$20 bill in. Before I knew it I had enough for 10 dozen and a bag. And so it went. I’m about good with socks(500 snow and 100 speck) this summer I’m going to start adding in shells or full bodies.
    Unless you have unlimited funds, it just takes time.

10. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

I've been using bags for years now and wouldn't use anything else. If you're using break down socks I would suggest using Duffle bags. Cheap , easy to handle and will hold 20-25 dozen easy.
    I've been doing this along time and OWN ALL the decoys. I've also downsized my spread to about 700-800. Most of the time I'm hunting alone and only put out 400-500. I can put out 500 in 2 hours by myself and find that's all you need to hide in.

bullpinnie likes this.