Most popular double reed?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by StumpJumper, Feb 16, 2018.

1. StumpJumper

StumpJumper Refuge Member

i know it's a broad question, but what do you guys think the most popular double reed duck call is for advanced callers?

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I suppose much could depend on how one defines "advanced callers," but most of the most successful at calling ducks that I know are still running a DR-85 or one of its derivatives.

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  3. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I'd say most ....advanced....callers are running a single reed sir

Stump

Spencer5100 and brentbullets like this.
  4. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

^^^THIS

5. StumpJumper

StumpJumper Refuge Member

I already use a single reed. But I want a good double reed to have a little different sounding call when needed.

callinfowl likes this.
  6. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

I carry a CWF and an Echo double reed timber to give me a different sound.

7. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Double reed Illusion and a double reed Radke custom.

8. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

So doubles ... I really like doubles....for several years I ran doubles then just all singles .... now carry two singles and a double with me and one goose call. I have been rotating doubles for a year now. I think acrylic is best for doubles because the second reed already dulls it a bit.

What I like:

1. Foiles Deadmeat Mallard or TIMBER Rattler set up as a double in acrylic
    2. Zink ATM Acrylic
    2B. Echo Diamondwood/Poly
    3. Buck Gardner Double.Nasty Spittech Acrylic
    4. Echo Meat Hanger Acrylic

Doubles I want to try ... Hobo ICU2 and GVCC Homewrecker, Zink Greenhead Rocker...

Why a double ... Because it is easy to pick up and blow and sound like a duck especially when in a layout blind or if you have a head cold and swollen throat. I also like them for a complete switch up as most guys I roll with blow singles. I spend about 20% of my calling time on the double.

Singles I carry are RNT MVP (never leaves lanyard) then I tend to float between a Cadence Closer or RM CWF (CNC version). I have also been known to use a d Overhauler or RNT Shortbarrel or RNT Original.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

If you want to sound different why would you want to blow a call that is the most popular call used?
    Have you tried to stick a double Reed set into your single Reed call? Most likely you could buy the exact same call that you already have, and could use it as a back up in case you ever need to switch it back to a single reed call.
    Try dimpling another reed use a ballpoint pen with a leather belt backing up the reed. Make a few so you can try a full double and a Reed and 3/4 or a Reed and a 1/2.:yes:yes:yes:tu

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

In the "Way back when..." Gardner had the RNT license, or whatever that deal was, Ronquest sent me a "Louisiana sound" (read "double-reed" made from their standard single) call to try that immediately became my field favorite, followed not too long after by a second doubled-up RNT J-Frame that I tuned a bit higher. No telling how many ducks those two calls helped kill, but it was during Louisiana's '90s heydays and a heck of a lot.

Though I've since switched to singles, our region is still double-reed country by a country mile, and guests at our camp will occasionally try to give me singles they can't get the hang of - until I return them after installing a second reed. To this day, my favorites among those have been a couple acrylic RNT Originals that probably took me back to the best of my own double-reed times.

(I've dimpled my top reeds with a small nail dulled on a file.)