Decoy Forum Sponsors

Most realistic duck decoy?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by English_Pointer, Mar 5, 2019.

1. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Like wood?

2. Canadian hitman

Canadian hitman Senior Refuge Member

I was thinking of the rig of 60 Carrylite mags I have that have had close to 1000 birds killed over them. Or the millions of ducks killed over G+H.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Do you really think G&H's will out pull Avian-X and the latest GHG, all else being equal?? To be truthful, if all else is equal, they'll be equally effective....IMO.

If they are just for me...and they are....then it's not a waste of money at all, 'cause I'm worth every penny.
    Especially considering it's my money. :D

buck_master_2001 likes this.
  4. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Since the original poster is 15, I’m guessing daddy’s money will be spent on this. If so, kid, flocked avians all the way.

If it’s your money, flock some black bleach bottles....

Tuleman and buck_master_2001 like this.
  5. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

That’s right. I’ve wasted far too much money on Chinese plastic.

6. English_Pointer

English_Pointer Refuge Member

Nope it'll be my money. My dad isn't into duck hunting nearly as much as i am. Even if he was though we are not one of those families that gives people whatever they want without earning it.

7. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

You’ll be better for it in the long run.

1) look on places like craigslist or other used items sales places. Find old decoys, repaint them. I bought 100 used decoys a couple of years ago for $3 a bird. Half are high end decoys 15 were sinkers and the rest were decent. Better deals are out there.

2) bleach bottles, 2 liter bottles, other plastic bottles painted matte black.

3) home insulation foam can be easily carved. Sleeper decoys and a few with purchased heads make a great spread. Sometimes you can find home insulation foam at construction sites. Even in Miami I got enough reject/leftover foam to make 2 dozen nice sleeper decoys magnum size.

4) learn to hunt without decoys by using binoculars and hiding where the birds want to go naturally. 80% of the birds I kill these days require zero decoys and I do very well for my area.

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

If I was going realistic then decoys with multiple head positions, feeders, no heads, etc. GHG, Avery, Avian paint last a few years. Match your spread to where you hunt. I hunt where need big numbers so price is a consideration.

9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Yep. Learn to paint and you'll be light years ahead. My "go to" decoys are 2 dozen Flambeaus I bought at Walmart on closeout at the end of the season for $10/doz. I repainted them and they've been duck killers ever since. Honestly, you don't need fancy to kill ducks.

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

As the old Cajuns would say, "I don' know 'bout dat."

If the OP is wanting "the most realistic decoys," I'm betting he'll be wishing he just bought whatever brand has caught his eye sooner than later after deciding to give repainting old decoys a shot. As the learning curve to "realistic" painting that will hold up remotely as long as the better factory jobs is steep and savings negated by material and labor expenditures. Or, at least, I've found that the case.

Unless one is gifted with an artistic bent, the odds are great that early efforts will initially look "OK" at best and be lucky to weather their first season afield without touch-up to again look "OK" for the next.

That said, there may well be long term savings in store for those willing to take their lickings long enough to master the craft, as well as the satisfaction of feeling they've met their standard of "realism".