Mountain Lion and deer

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by widgeon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

2. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

No hesitation at all. Pretty awesome.

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Mt. Lions are bad azz.

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Same Cam, now you know why CA deer hunting sucks in general.
    Protecting these cats is a crime, there is way to many of them out here.

bill cooksey likes this.
  5. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Seems there's enough deer to support a thriving cat population. They must be better hunters than you are. :nutz

6. callinfowl

They eat a hell of a lot more than just deer...............but no doubt !

7. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

***, on what planet is protecting those things sound ecology/biology?? Serious question.

We don't get many here, matter of fact I don't believe we've ever had a recorded sighting of mother and cubs so there is no established population or breeders. What we do get is usually just wide roaming young males and a smattering of females. But few sightings a year, many times the DNR will go to someones place and confirm tracks or scat, and every decade a handful get killed either by hunters and trappers or cars. They are not protected here obviously. Every time someone shoots one the letters to the editor in the local paper will lobby for protected mountain lion status, but I'd like to think our DNR has more freaking sense than that seeing as they still are fair game. When I am out rabbit or squirrel hunting way out in the sticks I usually have a couple slugs in my chest pocket just in case. I've wanted the chance pretty much forever to ding one of these suckers since they started getting more common.

The argument many make is they should be welcomed back and protected, as they were part of our original landscape and ecosystem. Well guess what, we don't have that same landscape. We are now dotted with farms, house, acreages, highways, there are children, pets, and livestock farming outfits, not just tracts of hundreds of acres of wilderness. Plus we no longer have bison or elk, some of the main food base for them when cats were thriving here. They'd be forced to eat deer (and the Drury wannabes would be in tears) or livestock and pets. The state has changed too much for us to be able to coexist peacefully with these cats. Luckily our lawmakers and powers that be recognize and accept this fact.

Why you would even allow let alone protect these things in a state as populated as CA seems totally absurd.

8. callinfowl

It because CA doesn't make laws based off of things like sound ecology/biology.
    Because DFG was taken over by the Bunny humpers of HSUS.
    Which was a total disaster, for hunters and fisherman in this jacked up state.

9. pbd

pbd Senior Refuge Member

You obviously haven't been paying close attention to the idiots who live and legislate in the great state of California.

This isn't anywhere near the top 100 of the idiotic laws we are subject to.