Mounting Nav Lights

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by SpoonMan3, Feb 8, 2009.

1. SpoonMan3

SpoonMan3 Senior Refuge Member

I have searched and searched through the threads, but I cannot finad an answer to my question.

I have a 16-48 FLAT BOTTOM. The front is squared off. It does not have Nav lights and I would like to mount one on each side to be safe when running on big water (with barges and other boats).

I cannot figure out how to mount these lights to the boat. For those of you all with flat-bottom boats, could you please post pics of how your nav lights are mounted??

2. Dutch

Dutch Senior Refuge Member

If I remember the CG rules its 120 degrees from center line of boat to each side., meaning no to the sides of a flat bow boat. They can not be seen from dead on the bow

3. SpoonMan3

SpoonMan3 Senior Refuge Member

Not sure I understand what you are saying. Here is a pic of my boat. I assumed that I would have to mount a light on both of the front corners. Is this correct? If so, can anyone show me pics of how they mounted their lights??

[​IMG]

4. Clow

Clow Senior Refuge Member

you should be able to get a nav. light that is like a flashlight with a "C" clamp that should clamp on the bow and can be removed easily. Take a look and Cabelas site or Bass Pro Shops and see what you can find. I think they make a version for the rear of the boat also. That will be much easier to use than trying to run wire and mount permenant lights.

5. duckdowngreg

duckdowngreg Senior Refuge Member

A little off topic here on were & how to mount the lights on your boat but here are a few things you should think about.
    Beware of the amount of juice the lights draw compared to your Batt (s) & charging system, ex: 2 x 100 watters may drain batt after an hour + run up the river. (on /off switches on each light so not to run both all the time can help) If you mount permanent light(s) you need to make them bomb proof, maybe even a bar over the top of them for protection. With people, dogs, & trees the front of the boat takes a beating.
    Making the lights removable is a good thing to think about. 90% of the time there is no need for lights on a boat, only on the run out hunting & on a few fishing trips are lights needed, so do you want them on permanent?
    Using a good fog light with a flat beam is a must to cut down on glare, especially on fogy days. A fog light will not have the glare that a spot light does. Being able to adjust the light up & down (for angle of boat plane) is also a must. Use a light, or paint around the edges so that the light is totally black when you look at it from the back so you get no glare & can see forward better.

What I did was to mount a fog light & a red/green light on a piece of plywood & have them switched so I can turn one or the other on or both on as needed. I cut a slot in the plywood that goes over the front cleat and with a few raps of a rope around the cleat the lights are held in place. I also carved out a wood block to go around the switches so they are a little more bomb proof. For wirering I just run a wire back to my fuse box that has a cigarette light connector. Light & wires are stored for hunting or stay at home on fishing trips. Not much to it but works great & best of all out of the way when not needed. Good luck???

6. frugal ducker

frugal ducker Senior Refuge Member

I had a removable set from Duckworks Boat Builders Supply. I used the ones that had a pin in the base to remove the lights, they did the trick for cheap money. The C clamp version looks like it will work for your rig on the front at least.

7. Dutch

Dutch Senior Refuge Member

The red and green need to be seen from the front, dead strait away. So a pointed bow can use one on each side on the bow, a flat bow they would be seen only to the side they are on. For example draw a circle draw two lines starting from the same point 120 degrees and it resembles a point in the circle. The point is dead straight away off the bow and they cannot be seen from the rear. Guys that run one on each side use mostly the 180 degree green and red lights. They are a raised lens that projects light 180 degrees. Go to the US Coast Guard web page and look up light and sounds, there is several types of lights shown.

8. Loewman

Loewman Refuge Member

Mount them on a truck reciever so you can take them on and off when needed. Then get a removeable Nav Light from wally world and mount it from the reciever simple and cheap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

I am wondering also about the 120 DEGREE formula.

from where do you measure the 120 degrees??? the same plane the light is on?

if so i understand that lights on the corners would be 180 degree from each other.

that said...I saw a big tug in the harbor a few weeks ago and I didnt have my lights working and was worried, because they were digging the channel for the last month and they were doing it 24- 7..so i knew there would be traffic.

as i was thinking about this I couldnt see the tugs lights...then i saw them...up near the cabin at least 25 feet from the bow...they were at least 10 feet apart and 20 feet off the water.... i dont know how that met any 120 degree rule....

I would've thought though, that is all you need..

both light could be seen from head on...and each color could be seen from its own side...that is all you should need.

thinking about that , it seems that from head on...both lights would be seen on the OPs flat fronted jon..

and

that each color could be seen from its own side

of course if they were mounted like that and the boat was quatering towards you....you could not tell if it was coming right at you or at an angle...because you would not know how far apart he mounted them!

I would have thought that they should be right next to each other...so you could always tell at about what angle the boat was moving..

bob

10. shotgunslb

shotgunslb Elite Refuge Member

Removable pole nav light is the way I went along with removable ProDrive headlights. That way I have nothing in the way during fishing season:tu
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]