Moving to Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Last Flight, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Last Flight

Last Flight Refuge Member

Looks like my company is going to transfer me to Alaska.

No upland bird hunting, but great big game hunting.

How good is the waterfowl hunting??? I imagine to get to the best spots you need a plane???

2. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

H20fowl hunting can be very good and it can be slow. THe sport seems to be getting more popular. A plane would open up a whole lot more hunting areas. You are pretty limited when hunting the road system but there are good but popular spots.
    Who do you work for? And I assume you are being transferred to Anchorage, right?

3. Kusko

Kusko Senior Refuge Member

No upland hunting?

We have great ptarmigan hunting in the Fall and Spring. You can literally shoot your limit in minutes on a good day.

For waterfowl, scouting is mandatory. There are good places to hunt by boat, you just need to find them.

4. Last Flight

Last Flight Refuge Member

Sorry, should have mentioned where in Alaska; Anchorage.

Glad to hear about the waterfowling & ptarmigan hunting. My labs will miss chasing pheasants, but it will be fun to try something new.

Now it is just a matter of making it through the winters up there.

5. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

winter pastime - its called a snowmachine (snowmobile to all ya'll down south). It opens up a whole new world. There are very few limits to where you can get to with one. Its a great way to "scout" areas as it takes no time to get places fast. Ptarmigan are great fun, sharptails up north. By no means is the upland hunting anywhere close to the midwest, but plane tickets aren't that bad. Do it usually once or twice (or three times) every season. Lower 48, nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

6. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

winter pastime - its called a snowmachine (snowmobile to all ya'll down south). It opens up a whole new world. There are very few limits to where you can get to with one. Its a great way to "scout" areas as it takes no time to get places fast. Ptarmigan are great fun, sharptails up north. By no means is the upland hunting anywhere close to the midwest, but plane tickets aren't that bad. Do it usually once or twice (or three times) every season. Lower 48, nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.