Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Mud motors and boat weight

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Skeetchoke, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Skeetchoke

Skeetchoke Senior Refuge Member

Need some feedback on the pros and cons of making changes to my boat. I want to draft less water but find that I also want to carry more stuff! Something's gotta give, so what thoughts/experiences do y'all have on the subject?

1-Boat Floor: I've got a floor in my 15 ft. duckboat that's 1/2 inch oudoor plywood. Is it worth keeping in there? About the only plus for the moment I can think of is I like to lay down for a while in the boat and need a flat surface

2-Gun box: The gun box takes up a third of the width of floor space I have. I'd like to get rid of it to make more room, but where would I keep the running lights, life jackets, fire extinguisher, extra ropes, gloves, tools, 12v. battery and junk?

3-Transom weight: I figured the difference in weight between my 25 hp Johnson and the new 25 Kohler Mud Buddy, but I didn't figure in a full 6.5 gallon tank and 12v battery back there.

If I trim down all this weight, is it worth it?

2. leaky wader

leaky wader Elite Refuge Member

see'n the outdoors thru the eyes of my girl
    Boat floor is nice but not neccesary. Kinda nice not trippin over the ribs though. Keep the gun box. Dry storage is a must. As far as your weight in the ***-end, you can move the gas can up front, but you are shiott out of luck with the battery. Less draft with more weight is sort of an oxymoron. Is that hull of yours a mod-v?? If so, you are only gonna go as shallow as that vee allows anyway.

3. Swampgrass

Swampgrass Senior Refuge Member

I have a Beavertail 20 on my 15ft and weight in the back was a concern of mine also. I moved both my gas tank and battery up to the front.
    I floated it in and played around with positioning both to find where it sat the best. My gas tank is inside a plastic trunk box, that I also use for storage and a seat. I cut a hole in the side for the hose to run thru and secured it to the ribs on the floor. It is on the left side, the gas line runs down the rib slot on the left until my decking then I ran it underneath the decking and my rear seat. On the right side a little farther back but still ahead of the midpoint, I placed my battery. I secured the battery box to a womanized desk board and the secered the board to the ribs, the wires run along the right side between the ribs. I bought 15 foot of both hose and neg/pos cable so I had a little to work with .
    I have not had any problems with either one.

4. Skeetchoke

Yeah, it's of the mod-v persuasion. I'll move the gas up, and I may take the extra 12v battery and trolling motor out. I like the idea of keeping them in "just in case", but it's added weight. If I don't notice a difference without them I'll put them back in. Is there a smaller/lighter weight battery that I can use for cranking the mud motor? I've got a general purpose cranking/trolling marine battery now.

It seemed like I would have plenty of room, but add the dekes, blind bags, guns, and an extra person and the next boat I'm gonna need is a battle ship!

Thanks for your input.

5. Skeetchoke

Is there a limit to how long the gas line can be under 10 feet? That's a really good idea, too, about the battery cables.

I've been really surprised at how fuel efficient the mud motor is. I've run the motor over 3 hours and more than 15 miles and I've burned very little gas. I could put less gas in the tank, since I've added the fuel stabilizer. I've been really conscientious about water in the tank.

6. leaky wader

Why the trolling motor and extra battery?? IF your runnin a mud motor, why do you need to troll? You fishin?? Just kiddin. I use a deep cycle/dual purpose, heavy-*** battery as well. Why?? Because I like to run my lights when settin out the blocks and blinding up for EXTENDED periods of time. Use my Hard Hat Light and Q-beam at will when motor isn't running. After all that, have enough cold crankin amps to turn her over. One less thing to worry about when you are miles from the ramp , deep in the flooded timber. You can start your mud motor with a smaller battery, but I'd be careful when runnin a bunch of lights and Q-beams with the motor off. Get one of those Battery Jumper pacs if you get a smaller battery. Either way, make sure you got juice or a way to make it.

7. Skeetchoke

Hahaha! That way to make it is the trolling motor. ;) I take a lot more than I need, but if I'm going to travel a really long distance I worry about breaking down and getting back.

Have you ever had any problem doing all of that with just the one battery?

8. JohnDeeregreen

JohnDeeregreen Senior Refuge Member

Ditto on moving the fuel and battery to the front, Briggs motors are great when it comes to moving fuel don't know about the Kohler though, Honda is the worst. When moving your battery a set of jumper cables work just fine for the added length. When I have a big load in the boat the more to the front I get everything the shallower I draft, 16ft semi-v 23horse Briggs.

9. CenCalDucker

CenCalDucker Elite Refuge Member

Yes. Get a wheelchair battery. They run about $70, are small, much lighter than a marine battery, and are deep cycle gel-cell. I wouldn't run too many gadgets, but mine starts my 20 Briggs every time and I run 2 100 watt spots when moving.

10. leaky wader

Skeet, pros and cons of large batteries. I run my lites for an hour or more, when not runnin. Q-beams are the biggest drawdowns on a batt I have ever seen:eek: My Kohler 25 has never failed to start with this batt and all runnin off it. The ability to "light up" my hole is worth the trade-off of the extra weight. Just my preference. I still run skinny anyawy in my GAtor Trax;)