Muzzleloader Pitting

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by JohnDiver, Nov 7, 2007.

1. JohnDiver

JohnDiver Senior Refuge Member

I was given a CVA last night, just as something to fool around with, since Ive never hunted with a muzzleloader before. It was real dirty, so I cleaned it up real well and uncovered some pitting inside the barrel. How much is too much with a muzzleloader? I usually keep all my other guns oiled and clean all the time, so Ive never dealt with a gun this dirty before.

Any help?

JD

2. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

How much is too much? That depends on the kind of accuracy you expect to get and the type of bullet you intend to shoot. I found in antique rifles, with pitted bores, once you had gotten the pits filled with fouling, they often shot better. However, pitted bores often require thicker patches and, consequently, slightly smaller balls. The pits will tend to tear the patches, which must come through with little or no damage during their travel down the bore during the firing process.

With lead bullets, providing the gun has suitable twist, if the pits do not gather lead from the bullets, then they may still shoot OK. I have never shot saboted bullets through a pitted bore, so I don't know how they would react.

You really never know until you fire some shots and make some changes in your bullet and/or patch combinations.

3. JohnDiver

225gr Powerbelts.

It needs to be able to kill deer at 50 yards. I dont know what to expect with muzzleloader accuracy to begin with, but if I could put 4 shots inside the bottom of a pop can I think Ide be happy.

Or is that too much to ask for?

If the accuracy is going to be compromised by the pitting, to the point where its a questionable gun at best, Ide rather not even waste the time fooling with it to sight it in, etc. because I have better things to do than spend time with a gun thats not going to do what I need.

JD

4. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

I would try the plated bullets. They should be less affected by pitting than lead bullets. And, try some fouling shots first, about 4 or 5 ought to fill in whatever pits are in the barrel to the extent they will ever be filled in. You can fire the fouling shots with a patched round ball, you won't need to use the more expensive powerbelts. But, try a shot without the bore being fouled, too. You just never know how they will perform.

Is your CVA a fast twist barrel, suitable for the Powerbelts or is it a roundball twist. If it's a roundball twist, which may be the case, if the gun is not an inline, then it may not shoot any conical well, regardless of the condition of the bore.

5. JohnDiver

1 in 28 twist, I think. Its an inline. Powerbelts are recommended for this gun.

JD

6. Scrimshaw

Scrimshaw Senior Refuge Member

1/28 for sabots, 1/48 middle of the road shoots everything and 1/66 for patched round ball.

"Scrim"

7. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

I pitted out a blue steel 1:28 MV barrel a few years back.

It shot sabots just as good out to about 125 yards, then it started to get a little hinkey.

I'd just shoot it and see what it does.

You can also run some of the metal polishes up and down the bore and see if that smooths out the corrosion... If you want to do that, write back and I'll go downstairs and find out what I've been using...

8. JohnDiver

FYI

Last nite I cleaned the gun extra well, and put a little marvels mystery oil in the barrel and let it sit. This removed any rust I missed, and also helped to remove some more gunk. I scrubbed it down with hot soapy water today and dried it. I was able to squeeze off 4 rounds at 50 yards tonite before it got dark. 3" group @ 50 yards, within 3 inches of my aim, off hand. Not bad for a gun that Ive never sighted in. I took it apart, and cleaned it again. Checked out the bore again, and it doesnt look as bad as it did last nite. Im guessing it was dirt and buildup in the barrel that made it look pitted.

JD