My opening day decoy spread

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by CurrencyTrader, Sep 18, 2018.

1. billwnr

billwnr Elite Refuge Member

friends don't let friends buy coot decoys.

2. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

A couple of the old timers in here will remember Ben Holten (Guzman) and Billy went on a coot hunt, documented it, and documented the meal.....

Green Duck Truck likes this.
  3. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

My hunting partner re-painted a bunch of old widgeon dukes into coots last year. Most everywhere we hunt there are coots present so why not mix them in with your spread if you are running a big one?

5. GoPackers

GoPackers Senior Refuge Member

Coots, Cans, and Wigeon are my money spread on the Columbia, we even get Pintails and Wood ducks decoying into that spread.

6. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Coot decoys may be fine, but to really bring in the ducks you need some of these. I can rent you 1/2 dozen, but you probably need at least 3 dozen:

upload_2018-9-23_10-49-16.png

7. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

I wouldn't use those if they were giving them for free, a man has to draw the line somewhere.....LOL

8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I have one drake and one hen spoony in my decoy collection and they go out in the spread more than you would think. :l

Billy Bob likes this.
  9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

GDT, there was never any doubt in my mind about you having coot decoys. You probably even own a pair or 2 of swans. :l :z

Can sure tell who has had coot. :l Every year 2 or 3 of us go to a small marsh to do a coot drive. We sneak them in small boats drifting or paddling up on them and push them into the end of a channel. When they start to feel trapped they jump a few at a time and have to come right back by us. Some serious fun shooting them on the fly like that. 1 push will get us 15-20 coots for a good meal. Better tasting than any duck but not quite as good as a speck.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I guess I have no shame. :z My decoy spread normally has everything under the sun, (spoonies, buffies, gadwall, wigeon) EXCEPT mallards. Seems to pay off extremely well showing the ducks something different from the typical mallard rig. BTW the mallards seem to eat up the spoonie decoys for some reason. :l