My opening day decoy spread

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by CurrencyTrader, Sep 18, 2018.

1. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

They love spooning with them! :dv

Maybe I'll have to try coot again some day. I shot one quite a few years ago. But I threw it away, it about gagged me cleaning it!!!! Who knows, maybe it was a sick one.

As far as spoonies go, I've probably shot 12-14 over 30 years. The first one I was just going to cook up for the dog, but it smelled so good frying I ate it. Excellent. Not sure shy they've gotten a bad rep? Maybe some areas some feed in?

Billy Bob likes this.
  2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Spoonies are good eats but shhhhhhh don't tell anyone. :l I've never shot one that tasted bad and they are very consistent flavor from bird to bird. I just hear stories about them tasting bad, much like the coot stories. On slow days they are fair game.

3. Harliduck

Harliduck Moderator Moderator

I'm with Billy Bob here...they have been very consistent from my experience, and i've ate my share and will continue to do so. BUT...I know Billy Bob eats Scoters and so do I so maybe we aren't to be trusted...lol.

I have a picture of a Fuger I have never posted that cleanly shot his 25 bird limit on Coots. He did this because he LOVES to eat them, and I know him and his family ate every dang one. His comments were much like the Spoonie comment, he didn't understand the rap. I would consider myself a liberal when it comes to eating game...and nope...I can't get myself to ever touch a Coot let alone clean one. I'll be happy to be misguided on that topic...haha...much like why my east side buddies are shocked when I refuse to shoot and eat a common pigeon on their side. I know they eat grain ect over there, but on my side saying rats with wings is a compliment! UGH....gross.

Billy Bob likes this.
  4. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

I'm a Mallard snob...If I am limited to 7 ducks, I want them to be the big ones....every once in a while I will shoot a 2nd level puddle duck.....pass on teal, sponnies, and such...Divers are a different deal...If I am after them, BB's Redhead, Cans, and Ringnecks...I like to watch the GE's and Buffies but save my shells

5. Honkerclan08

Honkerclan08 Washington forum Moderator

I agree with you on the spoonies. I am not sure why they get such a bad name. They live and feed on anything a puddle duck is eating. I've shot them on both sides of the state and never noticed them smelling bad and they made pep sticks just fine. Wiggies are the worst for me. They flat out stink coming from the west side and east side they are mud suckers. Still one of the better decoying birds though.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

You must not gun wigeon where I do on the west side. Tasty birds with that layer of white fat on them. IMO gadwall are the worst puddle duck there is on the table. They taste like they're bloodshot and soaked in black mud. Worse than any goldeneye :z It's possible it's just where I hunt.
    YUM! Scoter breast seared on an open flame left red in the middle with some salt and pepper.

7. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

Yeah leave the wigeon alone. Terrible birds pass on them and wait for the mallards! :dv

I would take a limit of wigeon over a limit of mallards. Best eating bird I ever had was a wood duck that had been feeding in the corn fields around the Sac delta. That was some good eating.:tu

Billy Bob likes this.
  8. billwnr

billwnr Elite Refuge Member

I may be joining Tim here with the odd decoys. I picked up a 6 pack of shovelers yesterday to add color to early season decoy spreads.

WidgeonmanGH likes this.
  9. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

coots would look right in the little lake I hunt. I may have to break down and get some even though I do not intend to eat a coot. The wigeon do like them. My opening spread will probably be the same as last year. 2 doz. avian X wigeon, 1 doz. G&H Mallards, and few ringneck deeks, and the Url-a-duck hen mallard feeder. Should look something like this I don't get to hunt until Sunday (on the lake) , but then I will be going on Monday to the mud flats. Then I will have 18 Avian X wigeon, 4 tangle free full bodies. Coming up on 39 years of hunting and it is still going to be hard to focus on work today. :)

Lake
    [​IMG]

Flats
    [​IMG]

10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

In that lake spread pic do you have that headless feeder decoy in the foreground on a jerk string or some kind of shaker? It is putting off nice ripples which are absolutely essential on a glass calm day. Looks good.