Need advice on drones

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Don Smith, Jan 8, 2019.

1. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Are there any drones that will fly in proximity to a small tracking object? Like, instead of them tracking the remote, the thing they track to is like the size of a small button?

I think it would be slick to have a drone hover over a fishing lure to catch the action, like hovering over the frog while frog fishing, catching the blowups. But if you don't have someone there flying it, it seems like you're SOL. And attaching the remote to the line would create an issue, but if the tracking object was smaller... may work.

2. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

A friend of mine takes out fishing In the bay and offshore quite often filming the fishing.

3. fboutdoors

fboutdoors Senior Refuge Member

Yes the mavic pro with track let's say a dog, boat,4wheeler if you set it to. Not sure a lure would be big enuf but may I have never tried

4. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

I don't know what the legalities are for hunting but I'd sure love to fly the areas I hunt in late afternoon. I could see where birds are holding and how they like to sit. In the morning I could set decoys and set up a blind in a prescouted spot. All from the air.
    If I built a semi permanent blind I could do a birds eye inspection to make sure it's OK.
    Friend of mine had a bad day hunting last year. Every bird flared. On his walk out he found some white plastic bags hung in a fence 40 yds from him. Dang things flapped in the wind. Scared off everything. A quick drone recon from ducks view would spot things like that. Im thinking small and quiet just to get a quick look around. Would that be legal while hunting?

5. fboutdoors

There is a gray area is wildlife harrassment but I can tell you every time I fly the ducks and geese have no clue I'm above and never flush so i cant see how harrassment would fit. But would all depend on your area and how your wardens interpret the law we use mine on every set up especially in the snow goose sets

6. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I thought it was illegal to use one for scouting? I believe it was discussed here before?

7. fboutdoors

Fed law on drones sets up how they must be flone local states can make these laws more strict. Yes some states dnr have made the laws more strict in each states. Like I stated earlier make sure you check with wardens in your area before making any moves to learn your state's guide lines

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

To add to the above, IIRC you cannot fly it out of your own line of sight.