needing advice on a tender boat

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by jangle, Sep 4, 2018.

1. jangle

jangle Senior Refuge Member

I have recently acquired a Kalash one man layout boat, and i am super excited to try it out this season. I have hunted KY and Barkley lakes my whole life and the past two years i have focused on hunting open water with a boat blind. I have a 1648 mod-vee with beavertail pods and a 30 horse evinrude. will i be able to use this as a tender boat? I already pick my days and usually dont hunt in very windy conditions, i know that i will be limited with this set up but i am hoping i can atleast use it some. Anyone have experience towing a Kalash or have any advice for me?

thanks alot!

2. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Get a bigger boat, at least 18'....not trying to be a dick, trying to keep you out of trouble.

3. Patodor

Patodor Senior Refuge Member

Your layout’s beam is the same width as the floor of your boat. And only 4 feet shorter. I’d really pick your spots or think about a larger boat. I’ve seen plenty of guys build a cradle across their bow, but that would make me nervous on a long haul.

4. jangle

jangle Senior Refuge Member

thanks for the replies guys. I agree that I need a bigger boat and that is in the making but not sure if itll happen this year. luckily where i hunt there are boat ramps everywhere and i could pick my spots and launch areas and wont make any long runs. I defiantly dont think that this is an ideal set up, but i am hoping i can atleast get out a couple of times with the layout.

5. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

So, why even bother asking for advice?

Good luck. Wear a life vest, make sure your anchor lines are long and in good shape, tighten the belt on your waders, make sure people know when you are and when you should be back......

6. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Bigger boat for sure my buddy runs a 2072 and it feels small sometimes

7. Ugly dog

Ugly dog New Member

Build a cradle to go across the bow. Also come up with a solution for trailering the boats too long to be trailer to cross your tender. If there's only two gunners and the two of you work well together you could make it work. Hunt close to the boat launches on calm days. We layout hunt on the Big K and my 20 foot skiff with 32 inch sides feel small some days.

jangle likes this.
  8. wvlippo

wvlippo Senior Refuge Member

Realistically you need 3 guys, a hunter, a person to help get the hunter in and then the driver. 3 guys plus a layout in a 16' doesn't leave room for decoys or sound fun.