needing advice on a tender boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by jangle, Sep 4, 2018.

1. jangle

jangle Senior Refuge Member

I have recently acquired a Kalash one man layout boat, and i am super excited to try it out this season. I have hunted KY and Barkley lakes my whole life and the past two years i have focused on hunting open water with a boat blind. I have a 1648 mod-vee with beavertail pods and a 30 horse evinrude. will i be able to use this as a tender boat? I already pick my days and usually dont hunt in very windy conditions, i know that i will be limited with this set up but i am hoping i can atleast use it some. Anyone have experience towing a Kalash or have any advice for me?

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I don't know how heavy your layout is? You might lay it across the gunnels and run like that if light enough?

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Is the Kalash designed to be towed? If not guys will make a bracket off their tender boat transom , raise the bow of the layout a bit and tow it that way successfully. a 16 footer might be a little small depending on the openness of the water and the load.

JFG and Fowler267 like this.
  4. Ugly dog

Ugly dog New Member

Congratulations on getting your first layout boat. It will open a whole new world of opportunities for you. I would build a cradle to carry it across the bow of your boat. You will also have to come up with a way of transporting it down the road. A kalash layout boat is too long to be trailered across the boat. If it's just two people gunning and you work well together. I think you're tender boat will work. We layout hunt on the Big K as well. She is a dragon in the winter be careful.

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

One good thing about towing is that your tender boat doesnt bear the exta weight in tuff weather.

6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

A few considerations:

Towing anything not designed to be towed, especially with a 30HP, is going to take some skill and you're going to be making very slow headway. If you do tow it consider a harness on both the tender and the Kalash, don't just go corner cleat to center cleat on the layout.

It you cradle it, in addition to stability issues regarding weight in the bow, and weight above the gunnel (I'm assuming decoys would also be in the layout for transport), you have wind/surface area issues to contend with.