Nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Refuge Member

F08C76DF-2F77-4C03-8E06-6605FBE851E3.jpeg
    Hadn’t planned on making any additions to the woodduck box array this spring, but a good friend gave me a pair of woodduck boxes. (Thanks MJ) so they will likely find new homes here at the lake. #8 and #9 respectively. Most likely over the water sets, but the neighbor has asked about putting one in their yard, so we will see.

The other 4 are making the long trip to my parents to start a new complex. The holes are cut to accommodate goldeneyes. It’s a large marsh area we have been talking about starting a nest box project for years but never had the motivation. There were goldeneyes nesting in the area last year, so it’s worth a shot. If nothing else the hooded mergansers will put them to use.

Anyone else making additions this spring?

2. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Curious as to where you are located such that you have nesting goldeneye.

3. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Refuge Member

Those boxes will be in Extreme Northern MN. At the intersection of MN, Ontario, and Manitoba

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I used to manage 12-15 boxes for a long time, and they were great for several years,........... but in my area, I think cavity nesters have higher success with finding natural cavities to nest in. A few years into it, and just about every type of predator (mammals, birds, and reptiles)recognizes that boxes indicate there will be free groceries inside.