Nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Feb 10, 2019.

1. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks. We have around 800 acres and it's all like that. Lots of oak wood lots and little ponds.

2. MJ1657

Not a nesting box but a goose nesting platform. Finally having some success. This platform has been a battle with muskrats. They sunk it once, have attempted to build huts on it, and one time I found it on the North end of the lake. Anchor cable was broke .I'm not so sure they weren't responsible ....... 20190419_173912.jpg

3. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Refuge Member

I am glad to see that one getting used . That one was the test platform so to see it work means we might know what we are doing.

MJ1657 likes this.
  4. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Who cares where you put them, anybody making an effort is on the right track!

MJ1657 likes this.
  5. MJ1657

I have another nesting platform that has not worked for geese but I had a family of Mallards live on it last summer. It's behind our barn in a pond. We call it the **** pond because it's surrounded by barn yard and it's the lowest spot. You can imagine what the waters like. It's full of ducks and geese at times. Seems to be to much fighting for the geese to use it to nest.

Last year a family of 9 Mallards basically lived on it. I watched them all grow up and fly off. It's close enough to the barn and people the predators leave it alone.

6. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

I have two goose nesting platforms. screwed on plywood and inch thick Styrofoam. Both have nesting pairs using the. We use 30 gallon galvanized watering containers and cut the side off one side . Gives mama goose a good view of the surrounds and is working well, just make sure you drill holes in the bottom for rain. Our first year we didn't have enough and an in rain event soaked the nest so I make sure they can drain very well before setting them out. Our first pair should be hatching any day Easter was the 24th day so should be in the next couple

MJ1657 likes this.
  7. MJ1657

This was nice to see . 20190513_183720.jpg

Uncle.Lou likes this.
  8. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Great job, so far we have hatched one brood of wood ducks and both nesting geese pairs hatched theirs, first brood got caught in a severe thunderstorm a few days after hatching and 4/5 got separated from mama and didn't make it through the storm, the one that did is doing well, second pair had 6 and all are doing well. The pair with one gosling still use the box to sleep in every night and its been almost 3 weeks now pretty cool. I didn't know they would continue to use the platform at night but it does make sense we have a lot of coyotes. Glad to hear and see so many people making an effort

MJ1657 likes this.
  9. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Mj1657 ,take the hatched eggs out and fluff up the straw a little and you might get another taker. Some geese might have to re nest and the platform needs to be ready this time of year. Got two different batches of wood ducks out the box last year and didn't even clean the hatched eggs out. Very successful nesting platform,been using them for over twenty years!

MJ1657 likes this.
  10. MJ1657

Thanks for the tip I'll do that .