Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Nesting Conditions Update?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by CSUguy, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

Canada's and seaducks also start nesting at 3.

2. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Sooooooooo, the Snow Goose hatch was ____________?

3. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

They all died from Avian Influenza!!! Nothing left to nest. Nothing left to come south. Dang the bird flu!

JRS likes this.
  4. CSUguy

CSUguy Senior Refuge Member

The best data I've found is still nesting condition data. No 2019 hatch data that I've seen yet.

Looking at the ice coverage map for July 6, 2019 vs July 6, 2018 there's much better temperatures and less ice coverage across the breeding areas of the Arctic with one exception western Hudson Bay. That's a good first indicator and is encouraging for a better hatch. We shall see in the next few weeks.

5. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Certainly an interesting thread to read!

6. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Saw this on a Snowgoose Migration FB page................interesting. Hopefully the Western Flyway will emulate what is happening in the Eastern half of the flyway. See below:

Benjamin Desruisseaux It's for greater, atlantic flyway I don't know how the hatch is going for western flyway but it's great for us here : Hello,

Here is the first information on the course of the nesting season in the coming years on Bylot Island. The first people on my team have been there since mid-May.

The spring in the Bylot Island, on the Great Party of the Arctic in this year, is all to the presentation of our spring and the new year under the south. Indeed, at Bylot Island on an older spring since the beginning of our follow-up 30 years ago. Since mid-May, the weather is hot and sunny, a few days of rain.

As of June 5th, the snow cover for the entire camp valley was 45% compared to 75% last year (the long-term average for this date is around 62%). Our snow transects have an average residual snow depth, as a tenant, of 3 cm on June 8 (the long-term average for this date is about 20 cm).

The hours arrived early and in large numbers. On June 2, there were 635 pairs in the main valley, the highest observed on this date for 20 years. There is also a peak of abundance of Lemmings this year.

Our team set up the secondary camp on the geese colony site last Friday, as we were going to have a new identity for the next few years. But until now, it's a great year for men.

Gilles Gauthier

Department of Biology and Center for Nordic Studies

Here is the 2:
    Hello,

Here is some recent news about nesting snow geese in the Arctic.

The mild temperatures in May and early June that I mentioned earlier have persisted, so that over the past 2 weeks snowmelt has progressed very quickly. This is one of the earliest snowmelt in 20 years at Bylot Island.

The geese arrived quite early and in large numbers. Also, catches made in May in Quebec by my colleague Pierre Legagneux indicated that the body condition of the geese was very good.

Goose nesting is now well underway and has started early. The density of nests in the central area of the colony we are following is at least comparable to past years but could increase further. As of June 16, the team had counted 145 nests there.

The nest initiation dates for this first nest sample are June 6, which is similar to the earliest year since monitoring began 30 years ago. Indeed, the long-term average is June 12th. The average nest size per nest is also high at 4.1 eggs while the long-term average is 3.6 eggs. The egg predation rate is low, with 6% of these nests only destroyed at mid-incubation. This low level of predation is likely a consequence of a strong presence of lemmings, the main prey of many predators including the fox. In addition, 3 snowy owl nests have already been identified on Bylot Island.

In summary, the breeding conditions of geese on Bylot Island have so far been very favorable and suggest a strong production of young for this fall.

I leave Monday to join the team on the field, so my next message on goose breeding conditions will be in late July.

See you soon,

Gilles Gauthier
    Department of Biology & Center for Nordic Studies

7. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

The Waterfowl Population Status report by the USFW did not come out until August 20 last year. So we have a while to wait to get the total nesting information.

8. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

I would doubt we will get the total picture. If it's like past years for light geese, and I would assume it will be, it's just going to reference spring phenology for 2019 and when hatching initiated (early hatch typically is good). Which appears to possibly look good this spring. Any other specific information will likely just reference numbers from the winter counts and nesting from the previous year (2018).

Best early info on the actual numbers of young in the migration is when snow goose hunters start reporting what they see in Canada.

9. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

That is certainly the best indicator of the overall hatch but a couple years ago when we had the great hatch the biologist from up there were reporting the best hatch they had ever seen. Same with last year. They said almost a complete bust and that’s what it was.

Hopefully someone has an in for some early reports from folks with boots on the ground up there somewhat soon. I don’t want to have to wait until September.

Dean Nelson likes this.
  10. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

You are exactly correct.:tu