North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Net Rig Decoys

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Mr. Taxidermist, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Mr. Taxidermist

Mr. Taxidermist Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I posted this on the diver forum, but I thought I'd see if you guys had any thoughts.

A lot of the guides in the area I hunt are rigging their dekes on nets. They basically take a 20x30 net and strap a hundred or so decoys to it and then the corners are weighted. The decoys are extremely close together on these nets. It seems to be highly effective, but there could be other reasons the ducks like landing there:rolleyes: Has anyone else used this type of set up effectively? Looks like it would be super easy to set up and take down.

2. alden

alden Senior Refuge Member

I've seen people use them before but, I would be worried about my dog getting tangled in something like that.

3. kayaker2

kayaker2 Senior Refuge Member

Kerri Harris had one a few years ago that we hunted over a few times and did well. I heard his sister is making them now.

4. greenheadhunter7

greenheadhunter7 Elite Refuge Member

A buddy of mine was telling me about this the other morning when we were hunting, said their guide at Cedar Island rigged his like this. I thought it was pretty interesting.

5. Mr. Taxidermist

Mr. Taxidermist Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

It might be a problem for a dog, but I don't worry about that as I don't have a dog. It looks like it works well. When you see it from afar, it looks like a raft of ducks.

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Seems to be very popular out on the Banks. I too would be worried about dogs getting tangled. It's my understanding that they zip tie the dek directly to the net, which means they are just under the surface. I can see where they would ride the waves nicely (like V-boards do) but wouldn't want to chance a dog anywhere near it, especially if the water is deep enough to drown him should he become entangled. But I can't say for certain because I personally have not seen one in action.

7. Patrick Eubanks

Patrick Eubanks Senior Refuge Member

Only problem I see is if you want to vary the size of your rig for different areas you may need more dekes. it is for sure a fast way to put out an outer banks diver rig.

8. DUCKCUTR

DUCKCUTR Senior Refuge Member

Makes a mess in the boat though. When you bring the net in with all the decoys attached, there is no real way to store it out of the way. Another draw back is that in the shallow watter down there, you can really make out the net floating so close to the watter. Long lines placed close together can give nearly the same effect, without the black or green "shadow".

9. Overkill

Overkill Senior Refuge Member

What kind of net are we talking about? Mono gill net, camo netting or pound/shrimp net.

10. dognduks

dognduks Senior Refuge Member

Sounds interesting. Like all hunting situations, the dog can be trained to work with it. If you hunted this way a lot, you can set up the decoys with the dog in mind, planning for the majority of the birds to fall in the space with no net and train the dog to avoid the spread. Takes some work, but i guess no more than teaching one to lie in a layout blind or avoid longlines.