Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Nevada Elk 2018

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Kimmie, Feb 12, 2019.

1. MAKAIRA

MAKAIRA Elite Refuge Member

Great Bull!
    Nevada has been easier to draw as a non resident then drawing in my home state.
    I have drawn a bear,antelope,081 late deer and a bull tag-love Nevada and will keep putting in.

2. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Why is that an issue? Is it cause you’re hunting an animal on a state tag on federal ground?

3. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yes. I'm hunting an animal on federal ground. Not state ground. It's state resources that manage the animals to some extent but the price difference between resident and non resident is rediculous. In Colorado for example a resident can hunt elk for $54.75 and deer are $39.75. Nonresident is $661.75 for elk and $396.75 for deer. I wouldn't have an issue if they had tags for public and private lands. I just think that's too much of a difference. And arguably it's more policing of resident hunters than nonresident. Residents are there all season. Nonresidents typically a week maybe ten days.

I would use Nevada or Wyoming figures as examples also but don't have those regs in front of me right now. I had Colorado close see by. Those are just my thoughts on it. In my state it costs about 2.5 times for nonresident versus residents.

4. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

@Kimmie
    Congratulations to your fiancé on a really nice bull. The 21st century is the age of elk in NV. Our deer herds are struggling today although we still have a decent number of good bucks if you know where to look. Antelope are recovering from the drought, but the elk are going strong.

As far as non resident fees go, you get what you pay for in NV. If you draw an elk tag here, you're all but guaranteed an opportunity to kill a 350"+ bull if you put in the work. You can go two miles into some areas and have it all to yourself.

In 15 years of hunting elk in the same area, I've had one guy climb up the mountain where we hunt. And he was scouting for a deer hunt while we were elk hunting. I bet you're not getting that experience in CO today.

5. Farm4wildlife

Certainly not. So you are able to hunt the same area for 15 years in a row? Is this private land?

6. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

Congrats to your fiance on his bull, Kimmie! That's a fantastic elk and well worth the wait in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Rich

7. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

Supply and demand. People want to hunt critters out west and there's only so many to go around. Roughly 190,000 deer were killed in Virginia the 2018/19 season. Wyoming only has a total elk population of around 100,000 and somewhere around 400,000 for deer. People are willing to pay it so they can charge it. And you think it's hard to draw an elk tag in NV now - cut the NR tag to $100 and see how your odds do.

Tags for public/private would make little difference. I'd bet the vast majority or residents hunt public land. Most private is locked up by outfitters or has high trespass fees if they allow hunting at all. Unless you have a good family or friend connection to hunt private (and most of us residents don't) you hunt public. And for all the NR DIY guys, they are also hunting primarily public land to avoid paying outfitter fees. You can see it in draw odds - areas with lots of public land take years to draw where an area across the road that's mostly private will have leftover licenses year after year.

Animals don't pay attention to land ownership boundaries and in Wyoming the state does the vast majority of the managing, whether federal, state or private. Wyoming Game and Fish Department is doing the population counts, setting seasons and quotas, doing biological testing (CWD, age, etc.), fielding questions/calls, enforcing regulations. I've been checked by WGFD wardens numerous times on USFS and BLM land - never had a Fed check in on me. In Wyoming pretty much the entire WGFD (covering game and non-game species) is funded through fishing/hunting license tags. Good game management costs money. Resident population is small and pretty flat with regard to growth. Non-residents take the hit. And as a resident of Wyoming, I have no problem making non-residents pay ridiculous high prices. You want cheap tags, move out west.

Cheers,
    Rich

blacktail likes this.
  8. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Well said. I have zero problems paying high fees for the opportunity of quality hunts.
    I’m not hunting Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, Alaska or buying points for future hunts for giant animals.
    I pay money to make memories and have a great time doing what I love. Chasing big game animals in beautiful places.
    I spend roughly the same money each year on licenses and apps as I do one family vacation to Cabo.
    Love Cabo, but nothing compares to a mule deer tag in your pocket in the West.

9. Farm4wildlife

Luckily it's not supply and demand. If it was supply and demand it would be no point system and it would be much higher liscense fees. My grievance is in the fact that as a resident you are paying $57. A non-resident is paying $692 (Elk tag). As you said the funds mainly come from liscense fees. So your being a resident of the state is not paying more for the management versus the higher rate paid by non-resident. I agree with a difference in cost but over 10x the cost I can't see. I'd be curious to see statistics on game violations of residents versus non-resident.

It's a moot point. That's the way things work. It isn't going to change. From an economic stand point I would assume hunters traveling into hunt have a larger impact than the few who decided to move there just to hunt. But I don't live out there so I don't know. Hopefully I'll get a chance in the next few years to try to burn an antelope tag and do some scouting for when I return for other critters.

10. Curt Gibson

Curt Gibson Refuge Member