New archer

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Quackracker, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Quackracker

Quackracker New Member

Howdy Y’all I’m a long time rifle deer hunter and am looking at getting into archery for deer. Used to shoot a 40 ish lb recurve for fun at targets in my youth and was a decent shot out to 30 yds or so.. Would be for just deer sized game up to Mule Deer size but mostly smaller black tails.

Looking for advice on a good starter bow and lb range as well as must have equipment, accessories and tips. Also what’s a realistic outside range to work towards getting accurate kill shots. Have an archery shop, indoor and outdoor ranges very close by to go buy and practice but am interested in pro advice from here

Thanks in advance for any help

2. jwcbf

jwcbf Elite Refuge Member

Howdy Quackracker,

You did not indicate if you plan to shoot a Traditional or Modern (Compound) bow. If Traditional, the number one thing I would recommend is the Training Course (link below). Tom received his Level 5 NTS certification from the Head USA Olympic Coach (Kisik Lee). Tom is first and foremost a Bow Hunter and brings the teachings from the best archers in the word to the woods. FWIW... I have no skin in the game. I shot wrong for twenty years before I heard about Tom on a Podcast. Ended up flying to Colorado twice for private lessons before this Couse just came out.

The principles are very close for Compound as well (especially drawing with the correct muscles and preventing injury).

Solid Archery Mechanics

https://thepusharchery.teachable.com/

If going traditional, I would get a 35 pound Samik Sage with and a practice Stretch Band... and get the Couse.

JW

3. Quackracker

Quackracker New Member

Thank you sir!! I’d probably be starting off with a compound bow as I want to be as accurate as I can be and want to potentially start archery hunting for hard to draw rifle zones...as I mentioned we have an archery shop and a couple of ranges close by so I’m gonna start doing it after duck season ends. I’m working up to hunt in January of 2020...

4. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

You may want to check out Parker Bows. Sad news is, they are going out of business. Good news is, you can get a dang fine bow for 50% off and the dealers are getting all the spare parts. Realistically, I've never had to have a bow repaired other than strings, so no warranty doesn't bother me. I ordered one the other day. I've heard many folks say how good a bow they were, but their marketing was terrible. Should be delivered today. Hate when something like this happens, but take advantage of it since there is nothing you can do.

5. Quackracker

Quackracker New Member