New birds?

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Last few days it appears we have received a lot of new birds, mostly mallards. Down side is there's been quite a bit of rain so getting a pickup in and out of a field is probably not going to happen. I can definitely see the upside of owning a side by side. You guys seeing new birds?

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Here today and gone tomorrow I guess. Watched a field yesterday morning with 2-3000 mallards bombing into it. Arranged to hunt with another guy this afternoon. Watched the field last night and maybe 5-600 mallards went in, but there were many more just flying around not really wanting to sit down anywhere. Watched the field this morning and exactly zero birds went in. None. Didn't even see any flocks of ducks flying anywhere near there. Bummer.

3. dan_sd

dan_sd Senior Refuge Member

It appears I've lost birds in the area I've been hunting but there wasn't that many to start with.

4. tjones

tjones Senior Refuge Member

on the opener we had tons of blue wing and widgeon. Hunted the same spot yesterday and they were gone. But, they were replaced by gadwalls-everywhere. When we got there, we spooked a lot of Specks off the water, and Specks were flying all morning. Didnt see many mallards either weekend. Hunting SE SD.

5. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

Birds are starting to pour into the area. Good huntable numbers of Snows and some mallards. You need to scout hard but the time is going to be here very fast this year and I think it will be gone that fast also. I've been looking to have 1 or 2 more great Diver shoots this year and I think I found the motherload this morning . Just loaded up with Bills, Redheads and a few Cans.
    Thank god for good Optics or I don't think I would have ever seen them. It was really hard for me to talk the woman into letting me spend $ 2000.00 on the optics I bought but My God was it worth every penny in the long run.

6. spring man

spring man Senior Refuge Member

What part of the state are you in? I’m really hoping some divers make it down to Iowa this weekend

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Temps up here dropped into low single digits and some hunters sat on the roost and blew them up, and everything headed south last night and this morning. We are done like dinner in northern MB. Those birds are heading south,and with the weather in southern MB and in ND, they may all be headed SD way. Good luck and have fun getting those big greenies.

BB-Shot likes this.
  8. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

I'm diver hunting this weekend. They just showed up where I hunt. I hope it's not over before we get started. Gonna be cold. I hope the wind keeps the water open, and the birds don't pick up and leave. They are 2 weeks late getting to us the way it is.

9. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

3 days of some of the best diver shooting anywhere. Mostly Bills and Readheads but did manage 3 Bull Cans. Nothing like having 50 Bills come in at once. Did shoot a few greenheads to finish up the limits.

10. Bucky Goldstein

Bucky Goldstein Senior Refuge Member

How are the deeper sloughs holding up in the NE part of state?
    Next few nights look rough...