New DSD Honkers

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Jun 29, 2017.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I won 4 DSD lessers on Flocknockers when they first came out . Then when the hardside Honkers came out I got on the list. And I got some great pricing at Sportsmans warehouse
    Then we bought more when the ACE came out.
    those early years DSD's made a huge difference in the number of geese we were shooting. They were so much better than anything out there, and the geese paid the price. My daughters were the envy of the boys that hunted at school.
    I do plan to sell off the remaining hard sides.
    I like the idea of a smaller honker!!!!

2. Specktacular

Specktacular Senior Refuge Member

Did you notice a difference in the number of geese you were killing with the RDC's?

3. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

FB_IMG_1485700877937.jpg I have no problems with the hardsides since buying them i have almost exclusively went to shooting a 20 gauge and still shoot as many as anyone in SE Kansas even break out the 28 ga from time to time dont need anything bigger when they are 20 yds or closer biggest bird last year was 13 2 how dead do ya need em to be

4. salthunter

This was a strange season for us.
    Fewer birds around most of the time. We had 17 consecutive limits,..however some of those hunts we were in the blind all day. We never had wind any of those days. Most kills were under 20 yards , Nearly all those hunts were sub zero, many with large geese we never see other years, and when the big geese came in they were often coming onto the field just above the powerlines
    We had sold the remaining Hardcores and only bought 4 replicas. Most of our hunts hunts were less than 25 decoys many of those less than 15 mixed decoys 2 bigfoot shells for the pit hole. DSD and even a few days early with GHG sleepers
    The geese decoyed better than we've ever had them decoy, Im guessing the extreme cold and even more limited hunting pressure, because of the cold
    I was satisfied with the Replicas. I think they are a very good value. I do not think there was any change in what we would have shot, but using so few decoys, not separating brands, and easy decoying birds We couldnt differentiate anyway.
    Other than the days other groups were on the field numbers didnt matter one bit.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  5. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

I have run DSD's since 2009. We now run 48 DSD Honkers in Ace and hard plastic. One thing for sure is you had better set the Smith's in the hole because that is where Geese pull to almost every time. It's a whole other ballgame when you run DSD's. Just throwin' it out there...Murph.

BirdJ, wyfarrell and ED Vanderbeck like this.
  6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

There was a time when I'd sometimes run DSD and second generation Hardcore specks in the same spread but separate the two groups to downplay their color differences, and the birds pretty much invariably keyed on the Hardcores, presumably because of their more varied poses. (Which is why, all these years later, I've still a mess of half naked HC specks waiting for the day I'll get up the gumption to repaint them.)

7. salthunter

Don The geese landed all thoughout the spread. The geese that were here were desperate. All committed completely.

Rick When I was using the 06 HC we had the spread split. HC on one side GHG on the other. Overwhelming difference. When we began building the DSD spread ; DSD's on one side GHG on the other. The geese defiantly preferred the DSD's.
    In the past the field I hunted often had 3-5 other groups on the field, we always out killed the other groups.
    This year a few times a group set up 15 dozen mag shells and they did pull geese from us when we were running less than 20 decoys.

Too bad someone isnt using the old HC molds with the ACE or Replica material.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  8. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Salt,
    Hard to picture a field here abouts that is big enough to handle up to 6 groups hunting it, unless Reservation ground, and then throwing in the 'Pit' thing, but I don't often make it down toward American Falls for a hunt so I suppose there could be ground down there that could handle such traffic?
    Used to consider the Reservation when I was younger, but decided to put my money elsewhere, or should I say the wife made that decision for me.
    I guess I'll just have to settle for GHG and a few Avian X full body decoys, about 15 Carrylite shells, and a mix of Bigfoot and G&H floaters.
    All of those are going under the re-flock in a day or two. Don't know how much effect that will have on the geese, but it will make me feel better.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  9. abray

abray New Member

Got mine today!!! 20170717_103605.jpg

deand1 and ED Vanderbeck like this.
  10. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member