New DSD Honkers

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Jun 29, 2017.

1. deand1

deand1 Refuge Member

Looks great. Glad to see they are shipping! Do you know what your standby number was? I'm #17 so we shall see when mine comes up.

2. Specktacular

Specktacular Senior Refuge Member

Did they really prefer the DSD's or did the geese simply land on that side of the spread because of the way you laid out the spread? Were you putting the DSD's in kill zone based on wind direction, filed usage, etc? I can't imagine a goose thinking "well, those GHG's are fake and clearly a hunting spread but these DSD's are real so we'll land here a few yards away."

brentbullets likes this.
  3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Fs
    The field borders the reservation. 580 acres. The field had some crazey good days years ago. I generally drove somewhere else to avoide the crowd.when new geese came in that field would have 40 to 100 geese killed in a day.. one time I watched 24 limits shot in 10 minutes. One group of shooters were 80 yards from the back door of friends home. Those days are gone.
    A lot has changed. The 25 acre field beside my place would build to 5000 geese until eaten out.. That field was killing 350 450 birds a year. some years I never hunted it because of the crowd
    I think Bigfoot is the only company that hasn't made improvements in the looks.
    For a few years the only compitition was ghg full bodies.
    Dacota, Avian x, ,Replica,all the decoys look so much better than 12-15 years ago

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Speck
    Those early years this wasn't an occasional thing, the geese consistently landed with Hardcore and Dsd. We had a simple U shaped spread. Evenly balaced when using the Hardcores
    We considered geese liked landing to their left. Or smaller decoys.or airbrushed
    Im a left handed shooter, so my blind was on the right side. I know on many of the hunts the newbies were on the far left and their mivement or the lack of blending in the blind would slide geese to to my side.
    Dsd don't have the impact and advantage they use to but they still do.
    Now most of my hunts are out of a small hand dug pit in winter wheat.

But there is still a comparison: most of our shots are close . Very few cripples, , I can only think of two sailed geese, out of 200 plus,birds, Both shot by guests, I shoot cheap 1. 1/8 ounce BB and never found a single piece of shot (from us anyways ) when cleaning birds

Years back My one daughter killed (back peddling) 29 geese out of 32 shots, all her shots were a single shot per flock, at that time she hadn't shot 4 boxes of shells in her lifetime.
    My youngest 90 lbs, 5 foot, killed her 4 goose limit with 4 shots and hadn't shot a 20 shots in her life.
    My point is they had incredible easy opputunites to kill geese and it was because of DSD decoys.
    At $900 a dozen they are the best value out there when hunting presured geese in a perfectly flat fields.
    As I get older I don't enjoy setting out and caring for lots of decoys
    We've paired down the total spread, my partner mostly quit hunting, so we sold out and now have t a dozen 2 piece Ace, 6 older ace lessers , 6 new resters on order, 22 ls ghg sleeper shells, 4 Replicas, 4 BF shells and 30 outlaws.
    At one time we had 11.5 HC , 30 dsd, 11 dozen Outlaw 3 dozen BF . 4 dozen ghg over sized shells. Then I often hunted with others with big spreads.
    Now A lot more space in the shop. And I get to sleep in a couple more hours, and bonus, I get home from a hunt sooner without a sore back.

Again this past late season many of our geese could have been killed over any decoys.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  5. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Salt,
    I hunt from an arm chair. Well, a 'Directors Chair".
    I cannot conceive of ever hunting out of a layout blind ever again.
    When word comes that birds are spotted, we all stand up to wait, gun at the ready, and we watch in comfort as birds finish (Geese and Ducks) in as little as 15 yards, seldom are shots over 30.
    Mine is a mobile blind I designed and built myself for most part. My two favorite, and best spots are drive right to the X locations. Open the doors of trailer, pull out blind and decoys. About 5 dozen full body and 15 goose floaters depending on location.
    I can seat up to 8 hunters and four dogs (If they get along with Jake).
    I don't probably hunt as often as you do, but the best part of my hunt are Family, Friends, and guests having good quality hunts.
    Last hunt last season. IMG_1684.JPG

Wanting to get out a lot of disabled Vets this coming season. Modified blind for this fellow in wheelchair last year. More modifications coming to blind next month. Want to make it more Vet and Jr. hunter friendly.

Attached Files:

Action, Zane and Spencer5100 like this.
  6. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

Guys just want to put down DSD without any knowledge at all I sold 15 dzn ffd ghg when i bought my DSD and would never consider to go back to more decoys in SE Kansas if I lived where millions of lessers were it would be a different story but hunting interior races of geese just dont need them with DSD we kill town birds that every joker in the area has harassed and shot at at 70 + yds and we kill them with 20 gauges and very little calling so go figure They are the real deal to all you doubters dont buy them it only helps my hunting to be better

Spencer5100 likes this.
  7. abray

abray New Member

I ordered mine in march, dont know the #. You should be getting yours pretty quick

8. deand1

deand1 Refuge Member

I got the call today. Shipping next week. My number was 17.

9. Krol

Krol New Member

Alright, come on now some of you have to have these decoys in hand!!! Lets hear what you think of them and maybe post some pictures!!! Our decoys are still 3 weeks out!!!

10. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 New Member

I ordered 7 dz today. Hoping to have them by October. Sounds like production is going well so far. In search of individual bags now. I used 6 slot bags for the older style ace honkers but the flocking on the heads were getting pretty beat up from the bags.