New items for spring

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Personally,I think a lot of people over think turkey hunting just like every thing else these days. Camo guns,thumb hole stocks,scopes,Tss,tungsten,bismuth,duplex,full strut,half strut decoys and the list never ends. If you got half the stuff you are "required" to be successful...you would need a front end loader to get the stuff in the woods. Lots of turkeys have been killed with a hunter sitting against a tree,using what shells he had in an uncamoed gun and an old rusty hinge as a call. Keeping still is the biggest challenge when Turkey hunting.

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

As far as diaphragm calls... I recently switched to Hook's diaphragm calls... Some Gooserbat calls as well. Less expensive than Woodhaven, and either one of the owners will spend some time talkin' to you about which of their calls will best fit your style and needs.

The last two years I have started playing with scratch boxes, and really enjoy them. Nothing beats them on the low end calling (quiet clucks and purrs), and they are fun to fool around with. I have purchased several, and would stick with Lonnie Gilbert's calls at this point.

I have also started using a Thermacell for mosquito and bug issues, and have been pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of this device.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Overthink? Maybe...

You know how some people get excited at Christmas time? The Christmas spirit, or what not? I get that way about turkey season. I have a really good time seeing what I can get out of my gun. To me, seeing if I can get this 20 to pattern as good as my buddies 12s, has been a lot of fun. I don’t watch many hunting shows, so I’m not sure what it is they are telling me to use.

I’ve killed most every bird sitting at the base of a tree, mostly without decoys out. I’ve killed birds over crappy decoys. But I’ve also had birds shy out of gun range over crappy decoys. I’ve not yet witnessed a bird shy away from these more “realistic” looking decoys. That’s just my personal experience.

Most times for me, it’s run and gun with no decoys. But sometimes it’s sitting in a blind with my daughter, or a buddy (one place I am a guest, and we tend to hunt it in only one blind a day). 10,000 different ways to kill a turkey, and ain’t a one of them the wrong way, so long as you get the same results. You don’t need a front loader, you just need a place to store your stuff, and put what you’ll use that day or trip in your truck. I still carry in less stuff for a hunt with a blind than I do toting all my duck hunting gear.

BangingBirds likes this.
  4. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

Matt,

Can you get a Kee Kee on your slates?

5. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Apex 9.5s for my Daughter to use in the .410.

CCDF9E27-16EE-49CE-8E17-22CB4C0B7B6B.jpeg

dnj21, BangingBirds and stevena198301 like this.