New pup and new to training

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Pastor, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

I guess to me it's like when getting on a roller coaster that say sit and remain seated until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. I tell the kids " you sit down and don't you get up". So I guess I'm telling her to remain seated.

2. Stealyourface

Stealyourface Refuge Member

For me, personally, I didn’t “hold” him at all until after formal obedience. I’d “send” him when he broke. We were trying to build his drive, not stifle it. After formal obedience, it was just a matter of reinforcing the sit command when he tried to break, until he learned to only go when sent. “Stay” is a command whose necessity is truly just based in personal preference. It’s just reinforcing the “sit” command. Many find it superfluous. That was my original train of thought, but I have since softened my position and incorporated the “stay” command. I, personally, would not use “hold” for such a command. In my lexicon, “hold” is reserved for reinforcing the “fetch” command.

For example, one day mid way through the season, my pup started prematurely releasing ducks when I grabbed them, instead of waiting to be instructed to “give.” This resulted in the dropping of a bird or two, which was unacceptable. When we got back to the house, he was placed on his stand, forced on a bird, and made to “hold” until instructed to “give.” Problem fixed.

Pastor likes this.
  3. 2-Dogs

2-Dogs Senior Refuge Member

As suggested, find a club and a mentor. Let folks here know where you are and you might get a good offer.
    Either way, invest in a program asap, read up, and stick with it.
    Your pup's only a pup once, and not for very long.

Doc E likes this.
  4. cacklercrazy

cacklercrazy Senior Refuge Member

Chris Atkins video series is great.

5. Kornfed

Kornfed Senior Refuge Member

Good looking pup, pastor. I went with Evan's SmartFetch when it came time to FF. Great book. And yes, the paint roller is a good tool.
    IMG_2963.JPG
    Good luck to ya and enjoy the ride.

Pastor likes this.
  6. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Nice pup. Looks eager to learn. But Doc is quite right about your need for a thorough, modern, sequential program. That will keep you from giving in to the temptation to move ahead of your pup, and help you keep your skills in order. Sooner = better!

Things like the use of appropriate commands, and effective techniques for teaching them are key benefits. Also, a solid proven program will show you what a trained retriever can do. A number of helpful folks may suggest a program they like, but you don't know their history or how well their dogs are really trained. That's even truer of trying to sort through video clips on the internet.

But consider this. It's the internet. It has several limitations. You won't find a truly thorough course in a place that has a limit on space for content. You're going to see video clips that average 3-5 minutes. That's not enough instruction for even one skill or skill set. For the most part, Video clips on the internet are there as samples, not as coursework. Many aspiring trainers have tried to assemble a program based on these video clips, so there are numerous holes in their work. Programs are available to show you how to really put all the skills together - step by step. Take your time. Training is fun anyway, as you're already finding out!

EvanG

Doc E and Pastor like this.
  7. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

Location is south east Missouri in st Francios county. I've started looking into the Smartwork material. It's a bit expensive at 300 plus for a complete program.

8. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

One of the best reasons for investigating Smartwork is that, unlike others, Smartwork is provided either in packages that save a bit of money overall, but it can also be acquired an item at a time. There are individual books and individual DVDs. The average price of each item is only $25. That's why I did it that way. $25 shouldn't stretch anyone's budget. Start with Smartwork volume one and the Puppy Program DVD, for example.

EvanG

Doc E likes this.
  9. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

Buy it one or two segments at a time as you move along in training.
    It's worth every penny.

10. Peter S.

Peter S. New Member

I used SmartFetch on my pup and it worked very well. I incorporated a few things from the book "Water Dog" and Dokkens books as well. "Water Dog" is a good read and very informative. I also agree with the other guys on here,
    terminology and keeping with that terminology all the way through force fetch is important. "Hold" is associated with the "Hold" process of force fetch and can be used later on in the program to reinforce holding the bumper or bird. "Sit" means sit until released or commanded otherwise.

Don't get overwhelmed and don't get in a rush. You may get antsy and start seeing results and jump from introducing retrieving all the way to wanting her to pick up 300 yard blinds, but take it slow. Read and research a lot and seek help. Patience is key.

Moose with Mallard Drake.jpg

Pastor likes this.