New Rifle to me: Rugar American Rifle Ranch-.223

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Native NV Ducker, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

So, I loaned my fathers Win 70 in 223 to a good friend for a year. When I visited again this year, he told me I had to sell it to him. First, he loved it. Second, he thought he head shot a yote, picked it up and slung it over his back. Yote woke up and put tooth marks on both sides of the stock. (pretty dang funny story)
    I didn't want to sell my Dad's rifle, but my friend had children, and grandchildren. So, there would be legacy hand downs, which would not happen with me (no children). So, we got it appraised and made the sale.
    But I still wanted a bolt action .223, to pair with my AR. After a LOT of internet research, I settled on the Rugar American Rifle-Ranch. It is a cut down (16") version of the basic Rugar American. Rotary magazine, patent pending bedding system, hammer forged barrel. Found one NIB for about $350. Hung an on-sale Cabelas Compensating scope on it.

I don't have a ton of room to shoot in the back yard, but I can shoot at about 40-45 yards. With a 1-8 twist, I was aware a heavier (than 55gr) bullet would probably work best. Using military ball ammo, I got it close, but groups were about 1". Found a few boxes of 62gr PMC ammo, green tip. This is what I am getting:
    EPSON001.JPG
    Disregard the markings on the left. Not related. Group is 3 holes touching in the middle (target is scanned upside down, hits are slightly high and to the left)

Granted, only 45 yards, but, I was shooting off a buffet table what wasn't stable, on a cheap plastic shooting stand. I will take it to the local range next week, but I think I will be 1MOA when I am done.

This isn't intended to be a 300 yard rifle. I can't (reliably) hit a yote at 300 yards. I shoot shotguns well, not so much rifles. Its' main purpose is varmints and other game in the back yard, which will be inside 50 yards.

Bottom line. I like the Rugar Ranch.
    [​IMG]
    *Not my rifle, but looks about right*

Vahunter likes this.
  2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

For the life of me, I can't understand why Ruger has been doing such high rates of twist... My .308 Gunsite Scout has a 1:7, which makes it impossible to shoot anything lighter than 180 grain, accurately (factory loads are all I shoot). Lots of fliers with 147s. Pie-plate accuracy with 168s. Other than the ROT, it's a fantastic rifle.

Glad you like your new toy. Nice of you to do that for your friend. I wouldn't have given up my dads gun, but understand why you did. Hopefully his kids will appreciate it as much as he did.

3. Roy G.

Roy G. New Member

I's like to see pictures of the tooth marks. Hope he left them on the stock.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yea, he did.

5. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Only fair, only fair....just send it to me and I will hold it for you till it shooting better and there no need to thank me none at all.

6. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Run some of the higher grain match stuff, loads like the 69 or 77grain tipped matchking, or hornady's Amax or their new style tipped match bullets, eldx I think... I sold my 223 and have been playing around on a different end of the spectrum so some of the new names and weights elude me.
    Copper Creek ammo sells a load with the 77gr Berger OTM as well, plus, they'll make loads for you with whatever bullet you want, I had them make me some loads with the 77gr sierra tipped matchking when I had my 223, and they're still reasonable prices.

Those kinds of rounds can help make 300 yards a lot easier, but if 50 yards or so is really all you wish for, she'll play as you've got her for sure.