Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

New Weapon

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by MJ, May 3, 2019.

1. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

That's the thing about Nevada.... You can draw with 0 points and the guy with 24 doesn't draw. The one antelope tag I apply for as first choice has around a 1 in 500 chance as a non resident. Last year the three tags went to guys with 4, 5, and 7 points respectively... The guys with 20+ points were SOL....

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Our point system, as you pointed out, is useless. You draw or you don’t. That’s it.

Over 30 years of applying for sheep and zero tags.

3. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yeah. Makes it hard to plan trips when you can't bank on getting a tag. And when you do get a tag you only have a few months to prepare. At least if your an archery Hunter.

4. Winchester 1897

As an archery hunter you can pretty much guarantee a tag every year to every other year as long as your aren't putting in for 241-245, 194-196 late or the like. Early season hunts have 1:1 odds for the most part and a few areas like 10, 14, and 17 almost always have left over tags.

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  5. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

I guess I'll need to go back and look at the draw statistics. I know I reviewed things about 5 years ago and made decisions on where and what I was applying for. Haven't done much with it since but get points every year.

6. Winchester 1897

The thing about 10, 14, and 17 is you have a ton of competition. 10 has a little bit of access problems to and 17 is predominantly wilderness area.

Farm4wildlife likes this.