New Zealand Goose Carnage

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by morduks, May 15, 2017.

1. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

Unplugged guns. Some fun:

Tom B.

murdock255 likes this.
  2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

The guy filming seemed to be shooting in the center versus little more of his end taking the guy on his right birds that would be centered and also doubling on same birds along with seeming to shoot down the blinds. On day 1 looks like guy to his right is wearing muffs, day 2 seemed like he was behind the guy to his right with angle of camera.

3. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

When we going Tom ??

4. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Not sure when you're going, but I'll be there net spring. I'll text you pictures though. :nutz:dv

5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

New Zealand Sky Carp (considered an invasive species aka pest). Reminds me of shooting snow geese in the spring. Trick to shooting more birds is to take them from the outside in, ie. shoot the birds at the 30+ yd range first, and then take the closer birds as they backpedal out into the optimal range for your choke. Took 6 birds out of a flock (aimed) twice in a row, and all were shot at about 30 yds. Takes some discipline not to shoot the really close birds first. With the Go-Pro, I imagine the close birds there were 10-15 yds at the most.
    Looks like fun until the cleaning begins. Lots of work there.

6. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

:tu...yep

Looks like they did a lot of shoot and holler s..h..i..t and going to plug too !! Lots of dead birds though and a some cripps.. too

7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Kinda reminded me of our hunt with Buck Paradise in Sask , with 8 bird limits each , the cleaning was fun too !
    It doesn't take long to fill the bed of a pickup when birds are averaging 11/12 lbs with 6ft 4" wingspans .
    And bang you'r dead is spot on , a skeet or IC choke is all you need with birds inside of 30 yds .
    But , we did have plugs so going to the plug was normal ! Hehee

8. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

Agreed about shooting in wrong order for maximum kill and also as to being a bit of a hog when it came to selection. Appeared to me that his shooting angle was unsafe a couple of times too. At the minimum he would have rang some bells. Very difficult to stay disciplined but safety is more important than a big kill number. Sure looked and sounded like they were having fun.
    Gene, you are a lucky boy. I hope the photos of your NZ trip are as great as those resulting from your Western States swing a couple of years ago. Outstanding!
    Tom B.

9. craig wilson

craig wilson Elite Refuge Member

Found no enjoyment in the video

10. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Basically it is a depredation hunt.