Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Newly Arrived Southpaw ISO Alabama Hunting Buddies

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by Misplaced Badger, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Misplaced Badger

Misplaced Badger Refuge Member

Wisconsin > Nebraska > Virginia > Alabama
    Hello Alabama. I'm a recent military transplant to your beautiful state (Montgomery area) and I'm looking for hunting buddies. Experienced left-handed wing shooter and caller with dog (well-behaved and experienced golden retriever), decoys, and jonboat. What I lack is knowledge of the area (I know that takes more time than I'll be able to dedicate this season) and local friends to enjoy the hunt with. I'll gladly cover the first round of coffee or beer for those willing to give me a chance.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

You at Maxwell?

3. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Lots of woodys in your area.. I stick to north al. Diver ducks and a splash of dabblers.

4. Misplaced Badger

My wife is stationed at Maxwell; her job brought us here. I'm a veteran that got out a few years back, now working with Auburn University at Montgomery.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Cool. Ducks are few in AL. I'm in Huntsville, way north of you. Hope you find some folks to show you around. If you find a place with ducks, keep it to yourself. Shoot it on weekdays, if possible. Lots of folks gunshot scout here. They will beat you to the hole the next morning.

6. volsquackhead

volsquackhead Senior Refuge Member

I grew up in the north part of the state and was also stationed at Maxwell for a short time early my career. As stated above, there are TONS of woodies in the area...the trick is getting to them. Other big birds will show up in the area from time to time (just watch the weather).

Get a boat, learn all the AL Power rules, scout, scout, scout.

7. Misplaced Badger

Thanks for the input. I was hoping to find somebody to take me under his local wing, but I'm stubborn enough to try solo. After a bit of e-scouting and research, I think it's a better use of my time to drive north a couple hours to do some exploring. I'd much rather eat the windshield time than sit around wondering where the migrators go...

8. volsquackhead

volsquackhead Senior Refuge Member

Put in the time scouting (from a distance...don't bump all of the birds), hunt during the week, and be courteous to everyone else out there with you.

9. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Hit me up I’m always looking for someone to go hunting with there’s a lot of places to hunt just would rather show you than put it on here there’s enough e- scouting these days TVA land is way different than southern co. By the way I work for Al power and I can still get a trespassing ticket on their lakes if I don’t follow the rules. PM me and we can talk

stevena198301 likes this.
  10. Misplaced Badger

You bet. The golden rule of water fowling.