Night Vision Scope

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by widgeon, Apr 4, 2017.

1. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Does anyone use one they like? I need one for some almost unkillable, nocturnal hogs.

2. widgeon

ttt

3. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I've been using regular red lights for coyote hunting the past 3 years, but have been looking at getting this one "soon": Armasight Nemesis 4x QI....
    I've seen them range from $1,500 to $1,800 They also have the regular green night vision model for a little less, but the QI is black and white and I think easier to view. There is also a 6x model which gets you a little more magnification, but you lose some field of view. I'm coyote hunting so don't know which would be more important to hog hunters, magnification or field of view.

My hunting buddy got a thermal scope this season which we used toward the end of our night season. It was unreal the number of animals we saw that we would normally miss with the red light, plus all the rabbits, mice, etc...... Thermal is easy to spot animals, but was hard (for me) to identify the target at ranges longer than 150 yards or so.....plus his was @ $7,000.

widgeon likes this.
  4. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

A professional hog trapper and hunter up here in NC swears by these guys
    https://www.3dnightvision.com

I hunted with him last summer (successfully) and he knows his stuff, so if he says these work then they probably do. I seem to remember that they were reasonable priced - like $350-450 per unit.

widgeon likes this.
  5. thunderfromdownunder

thunderfromdownunder Senior Refuge Member

Depends on what u want to spend. I love my trijicon reap ir. If I had not used it beforehand. I would have never spent the money but after having it has paid for itself shooting coyotes

6. widgeon

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

@widgeon; see I'm a day late and dollar short on answering your question, but if you decide you don't like that one, a buddy has an ATN ThOR and really likes it. It's pricey, but they have a cheaper version, more in the $600 range. It does IR and has a built-in range finder.

widgeon likes this.
  8. widgeon

Thanks! I'm trying this one out this week. Chasing turkeys, then fishing, then hogs at night. And a meteor shower to boot! I'll let you know how it works.

9. UPEgger

UPEgger New Member

I think IR scopes are great for hogs. Not so good for calling coyotes. They can see you as you do not have a light to hide behind. That was the trouble I discovered.

Carl L.