Washington Flyway Forum Sponsors

Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge FYI

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Iwade, Jun 17, 2019.

1. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

That is true! Especially if they open up some of the grasslands to the East. 1100 acres is a lot but they could also open up stuff that is either not very hunt able or makes no difference because there is nothing to hunt. Excited to see the map when it comes out.

2. Ducksergeantorg

Ducksergeantorg Senior Refuge Member

How would I get a new map?

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

4. WidgeonmanGH

It opens up some opportunities, but to be blunt, guys occasionally hunted out there anyway. There were no boundary markers out there so unless you had GPS you have no idea North South on that front piece. Nice to know it is available as back up if one wanted to. Except for certain tides that is flyby land.

More than we had, so that is good.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I called it in my first post on this thread and I was exactly correct. I knew it would be nothing good and the hunters would get the shaft again. They opened 1,100 acres of useless mud that is so soft it will be dangerous to hunt.

If you look at the research area you can tell by the dates it is closed that it was just made to stop hunting, no other reason.

6. WidgeonmanGH

The area they opened is mostly under water most of the time. But not always. The mud is the mud, it is no worse out there than anywhere else on the delta.

As far as the research area, you may be right about when it was opened. But now that they have removed all the dikes, without it the Nisqually probably would not hold birds. They would just come in and then move on. I think it is probably one of the reasons there remain as many birds out there as there are. Nothing like when they had the flooded freshwater fields but there are still birds there the whole season and the closed zone is probably the reason. A lot of the hunting is the birds moving with the tide and trading in-between closed zones and other spots to feed.

That said, they could have been a bit more creative in opening some spots or areas that would have had a greater impact on improving the hunting. Maybe with greater area will come a bit more enforcement attention? Doubtful but one never knows. 25 shell rule is routinely and systematically ignored. Due to the challenge of the mud most enforcement comes at the ramp after the fact.

What I suspect is that this opens up some hunts that were previously probably illegal but took place anyway. And it will provide some opportunities for some of the more creative and hard working mud flat guys. Tides etc will have to be right. Layout guys might have some interesting opportunities. Overall this will not change the hunting on the Nisqually in any significant way including pressure. It is still a challenging place to hunt. Got me thinking about hunting already. I have to shake it off and keep focused on finishing my truck and getting ready for Elk. Ducks will be here soon enough!

7. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Supporting Member Moderator

Same as before in Skagit. Took land and replaced it with mud. And in dike removed areas the state dumb arse biologist said it would hold just as many ducks and be healthier as corn/barley is bad for them.