Northwest Nebraska Bird

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Apr 17, 2017.

1. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Made it out with my dad Saturday morning and was looking forward to putting him on a bird. We've never had much luck while hunting turkeys together but I was hoping for a change in success. Having not scouted the property the night before we went in early hoping to just find a bird on the roost. Ended up hearing gobblers all over the property when we stepped out of the pickup. Went in on the closest ones, what sounded to be three toms and another two or three down the canyon a couple hundred yards. Got set up about a 100-150 yards away and got a lot of response when I would call but as soon as they pitched down out of the tree they went the opposite direction. We noticed all the noise kept heading away from us so we elected to pick up and try and get in front of them and set up again. We played cat and mouse with these turkeys for over an hour and a half trying to pick the right spot in the timber to come in front of them and each time we chose the wrong spot. We never did spook them but they were constantly on the move while feeding. My dad suggested we split up so I ended up keeping after the birds we've been chasing and he went to a new spot. Finally was able to get within a reasonable distance from two toms and two hens. I didn't have time to set up any decoys so I just laid on my stomach and started calling. Coaxed the hens my way and the toms followed in suit. Put the hammer down on a nice tom at 15 yards. Had my dad just stayed with me he could have easily shot the other tom. He had a 9" beard and 1/2" spurs. All in all it was an awesome hunt and we had beautiful weather, except it was a bit windy. Couldn't beat the scenery also. Guess I'll have to buy another permit. :)

[​IMG]

widgeon, Shot Caller, SB2MAG and 3 others like this.
  2. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Just remember .."Father knows best" .. cept' fer' turkey huntin' !!!

Great job of keepin' chase and gettin' within' a good call session and kill!!:tu

nebgoosehunter likes this.
  3. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Very nice, strong work!

nebgoosehunter and SB2MAG like this.
  4. Birdsnspurs

Birdsnspurs Refuge Member

5. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

nice birds! congrats

6. nebgoosehunter

Took the day off yesterday and went back up to the Pine Ridge with my dad and a buddy. I bought another tag but had every intention of letting those guys shoot first. We started off on the same property as opening morning but it wasn't until after shooting light that we heard some gobblers on the roost. We quickly made our way over near them and set up, however they moved off on to the next property over. Took awhile but located another group of birds. We split up to try and see if they would come to one of us. My dad was the lucky one there and took a nice bird. After realizing the birds just weren't on the property we got permission on another property a few miles away. My buddy and I hiked down in and almost instantly got a response. He was pretty fired up the whole time we were closing the distance to him. Also got a lot of other responses from different directions the entire time we were calling. We were in a deep ravine and sat and started calling to him and when he answered he was less than 50 yards away. The sound that echoed will be something I'll never forget. That bird came right to the call and popped over a little rise and got a face full of lead. It was definitely a fun morning but now I'm itching to shoot another bird.

[​IMG]

stevena198301 and SB2MAG like this.
  7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Nice work. I need a Merriams one of these days.

8. Fozzbear

Fozzbear Senior Refuge Member

Neb - Nice work. Looks like the weather is a bit nicer this week than it was last week. Now go get yourself another one!

9. nebgoosehunter

Punched my second tag of the season this morning but not without some trials. This bird wasn't quite far NW Nebraska but more central Nebraska panhandle so close enough lol. The spot I was going was an hour away and when I was about 10 minutes out my pickup died going down the highway. Pulled over and it wouldn't even turn over. Sat for maybe half an hour and tried it again and it started, so back on the road I went but it is already past shooting light now. Pulled into my first spot to glass and no birds. Went back to truck and it was dead again. Waited 15 minutes and it started so went to the next spot a couple miles up the road. Left it running this time while I glassed but no birds. On to the next spot a couple miles up the road. Glassed this spot for awhile but no birds but luckily the truck started. Went on down the road again and she died on the county road. No problem, I just got out and worked my way through the shelter belt to glass some more. I came to the very last shelter belt I had permission on and there was a tom and a hen out in the pasture next to the trees. Problem was there was a quarter mile of open pasture between the trees I was in and the ones they were next to. Had the pickup been running I would have driven past and came in on them in the same tree strip. Nonetheless, I set up a hen and decided to put out a funky chicken also to see if I could make him mad. Started calling and instantly he was fired up. Responded to every single call I made but would not come any closer. Finally a truck drove by and pushed them back into the trees. Started calling again and got no response and thought maybe they spooked down the tree row. Only about two minutes later they both emerge heading separate directions. She was headed one way and he was headed right at me. He trotted almost the whole way in stopping maybe three or four times to strut. He eventually pulled his hen with him also. He got to about 30 yards and stopped and he could tell something was up. He started to turn around and I let him have it. He ended up being one of my better birds in the last few years. 10 1/4" beard and 1 1/4" spurs. Not the heaviest, as he was about 19 lbs. Honestly it was probably one of my most memorable hunts on what started out a frustrating day. My dad also had to come tow me back to town so the pickup never did work itself out but luckily it got me to where I needed to be!
    [​IMG]

stevena198301 likes this.
  10. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Great rebound to a hunt goin sour and congrats on a hard workin' tom :tu

Funny how the toms that are dominate, loose weight during the breeding season:dv