Northwest Nebraska Bird

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Apr 17, 2017.

1. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Made it out with my dad Saturday morning and was looking forward to putting him on a bird. We've never had much luck while hunting turkeys together but I was hoping for a change in success. Having not scouted the property the night before we went in early hoping to just find a bird on the roost. Ended up hearing gobblers all over the property when we stepped out of the pickup. Went in on the closest ones, what sounded to be three toms and another two or three down the canyon a couple hundred yards. Got set up about a 100-150 yards away and got a lot of response when I would call but as soon as they pitched down out of the tree they went the opposite direction. We noticed all the noise kept heading away from us so we elected to pick up and try and get in front of them and set up again. We played cat and mouse with these turkeys for over an hour and a half trying to pick the right spot in the timber to come in front of them and each time we chose the wrong spot. We never did spook them but they were constantly on the move while feeding. My dad suggested we split up so I ended up keeping after the birds we've been chasing and he went to a new spot. Finally was able to get within a reasonable distance from two toms and two hens. I didn't have time to set up any decoys so I just laid on my stomach and started calling. Coaxed the hens my way and the toms followed in suit. Put the hammer down on a nice tom at 15 yards. Had my dad just stayed with me he could have easily shot the other tom. He had a 9" beard and 1/2" spurs. All in all it was an awesome hunt and we had beautiful weather, except it was a bit windy. Couldn't beat the scenery also. Guess I'll have to buy another permit. :)

[​IMG]

DEC and stevena198301 like this.
  2. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Just remember .."Father knows best" .. cept' fer' turkey huntin' !!!

Great job of keepin' chase and gettin' within' a good call session and kill!!:tu

nebgoosehunter likes this.
  3. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Very nice, strong work!

nebgoosehunter and SB2MAG like this.
  4. Birdsnspurs

Birdsnspurs Refuge Member