North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Ocracoke Sink Box Hunting

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Tailfeathers, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Great vid. Boy does that young man's face glow in the low light, and the birds keep coming in.
    Got a question: Is it that the " sink box" or " water pit blind" I'll call it is not floating that makes it legal? I know with layout hunting, the shooters hips can't be below the waterline in the US, and a layout boat or a BBSB are floating.
    Very cool rig.

IrvingForbes likes this.
  2. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

It's legal because it isn't floating.

3. Tailfeathers

Thanks. I should cal it a "sunk box" :joker Does anyone know where I can find US sink box law? I looked at my state's waterfowl law. Couldn't find anything. Googled sink box hunting etc and got sinks at Home depot. Worthless.

4. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

IrvingForbes likes this.
  5. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Tail feathers,

If you haven't done a sink box hunt you need to put that on your list. Very cool, very unique, and very legal. Essentially they are a pit blind buried into a sandbar in tidal waters. When I moved to NC it was the first hunt I went on and it was worth every dollar.

6. Tailfeathers

Thank you for the link/ info bufflehead1. There it is, the key word " floating":
    • From a sink box or any other low floating device that conceals you beneath the surface of the water.

IrvingForbes likes this.
  7. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

My son a couple buddies and myself hunted curtain blinds for the first time this past January. We hunted 3 days 2 were good and one was a sunrise watcher. My son and I had a mixed bag first day with redheads a can,black heads a pair of buffies a Brant and a couple scoters. Second day shot pintails Brant and couple scoters. It was awesome how well the pintails worked the call I was landing big flocks in the rig all morning after fog cleared. Seen maybe 500 or more pintails that morning.

Attached Files:

8. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

Been doing it for about 15 years now and its an annual trip. If you've never done it, you owe it to yourself!

ncb

coachcornbread and IrvingForbes like this.
  9. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

349D61E3-0D6E-4DA2-93AC-C7DD7681ED59.jpeg Redheads up close and personal after limiting

10. Tailfeathers

Isn't this great stuff? Gotta love a new way to hunt. So, heres what I am thinking/ planning. I want to make a sink box or buy something that could be converted to a sink box. Was looking at Rubbermaid laundry bins ( too high, cut down), expensive, look for a used one , maybe too small for two guys, or get out the power tools, plywood and fiberglass and build one. Square cement pavers or half thick cinder block filled with cement would be the weight to make it sink. Anybody know what the NC boys use? Another (Mr. Gadget) idea would be water tanks that are filled and unfilled with a 12 volt pump. I'd want to transport the new fangled, Gunnin Machine on the gunnels of my jon boat, slip her in, weight her down, throw the decoys all around and be close to eye level with the water and the in yo face duck feet coming at ya.