North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Ocracoke Sink Box Hunting

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Tailfeathers, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

So if you made your box 3' wide by 7' long by 4' tall it should hold two guys. That will displace 84 cubic feet of water, which at 62 lbs/cubic foot will need over 5,000 lbs of ballast. What kind of jon boat did you say you have?

Like most hunting results are not assured. I've hunted the curtain blinds several times because I like the experience. But the only time I've killed more than one duck in a day was when I doubled on pintails about 10 minutes before sunset and that was the only shot I got that day. I've just never been lucky to hit the wind and weather needed to make it work. Maybe this year!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    bufflehead1 likes this.
  2. IrvingForbes

IrvingForbes Senior Refuge Member

I have a friend that had a local welding shop build his from aluminum with a water tight lid. Most are wood fiberglass over.

3. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

You can't carry enough weight to displace the buoyancy.

These things are permanent. They don't sit on the bottom, they are in the bottom.

4. Adduckted

Adduckted Elite Refuge Member

Been doing this for about 10 years. When the weather is right, its unbelievable. When its not, its a LOOOOONG sit in the sun with no shade, in a box about 12 to 15 square feet. Tight for 2 6'3" 250 lb guys.

Every one I've ever seen is make of concrete and washed down into the sandbar. The guys I know float them out on a rubber raft and boat bumpers, cut the raft open to drop it and then use a water pump to wash them down. The curtain bolts to the concrete and the wooden liner is attached to the curtain.

A couple years ago there were so many redheads and pintails coming in, we were not shooting for fear of going over the limit.

creedsduckman and IrvingForbes like this.
  5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

That’s when I like to have my wing master .410 a bark’n...

IrvingForbes likes this.
  6. cprodave

cprodave Refuge Member

Like Clark indicated, the math on ballast required tells the story. Think ferrocement boats, or those competitions many engineering colleges have building concrete canoes...but I too would sure like to build one of these. I know a perfect location within a mile of my house!

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

My thanks to Clark and others who gave me the sobering facts. It was an idea, a dream that stemmed form watching those NC boys hunt like that and being excited.But you guys saved me a good amount of wasted time, effort, expense, the agony of defeat and maybe even a straight jacket. I owe you all a beer. Plan B get off my arse and either build a Busick layout or buy one. That in your face duck hunting is inspiring.Been dreaming of one or two for years. Hmm then again there s that tiny island out on the lake taht could hold maby 3 or 4 layout blinds.Poor mans
    Sinkbox,kinda sorta.
    Thanks again.

8. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I know a guy that went several years ago and said it was tight enough that him and his partner could've shared a coat.
    I don't think my nerves could handle redheads and pintails eating me up and not be able to shoot.....

9. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

You just sit and watch on those days because about 50 days out the 60 day season you're going to need something to make you want to be there.

coachcornbread likes this.
  10. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, I keep going on one of the 50 days - but someday I'll hit it right.
    Last year I had one hunt cancelled - because the sound froze.
    Second hunt we were one day late, they had big wind the day before and slayed 'em. We shot one pintail and one redhead in the next two days.
    Still a cool experience, just not a miracle cure.