Old dogs...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Big Daddy Gaddy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

Happy dawg. IMG_1476.JPG

API likes this.
  2. lugnut

lugnut Elite Refuge Member

@API is that a chihuahua doggie cage in the background? Say it isn`t so!! :dv

API likes this.
  3. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

What a great thread. My dog is 8. She is so amped up before every hunt that all I can do is laugh. She's like a rocket through the south grasslands mud. No bird is too tough and my daughter has taught her to dive under water to chase cripples. Nothing stops her. Then for the next 1-3 day she moves sooo slow and it's painful to watch her. But then she's ready to again. She inspires me with that "never quit" attitude. My family tells me it's time to retire her but there's no way I could do that to her. That'll be me in 15-20 years and I hope like hell that no one tries to retire me before I'M ready to retire.

API likes this.
  4. enzinn

enzinn Senior Refuge Member

Hayden Hunter - isn't it amazing when you look back at all the time spent afield with the line of dogs you have had over your lifetime? Each dog is unique and so are the memories. I generally don't like people all that much, but I sure get all misty-eyed when I see old dogs struggling in the field, displaying that fire in the belly that just won't allow them to quit.

I am getting a pup that just popped out a few weeks ago from a dame that Misty Mello bred. I am going to have Misty train the pup and I am planning on picking it up next fall. I can't wait to go see it this year and I am already looking forward to next fall when I get to hunt with my old veteran Lab and the new pup. My pups have always learned a lot from my older dogs, which is why I like to overlap them! Another feather in the cap of old dogs - that irreplaceable experience.

Huntsprig likes this.
  5. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Good news. For sure no chihuahuas on board. What ya see are grandkid’s Disney type toys.

6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Curious did they get into it with eachother?
    It happens more times that not, my wife has been an RVT and has worked in the Veterinary Emergency Med. field for over 30 years. She has told me that more times than not. That when there is a dog fight it is normally between two dogs that have been living with each other for years peacefully, twodogs will turn on each other as they age, more times than not.
    The old dog feels threatened by the younger dog and BAM!!!
    THERE GOES YOUR VET. BILL!!!!!!!
    They are at eachotherall of a sudden, it happends out of the blue, without warning.

7. enzinn

enzinn Senior Refuge Member

Naw - those two were great friends. They just coincidentally had simultaneous injuries - the old dog had a massive hematoma on her ear which took some work and the young dog with the cone of shame ended up getting unzippered for removal of a baked ham bone shard from her guts (if I ever find out who fed her that ham bone I will strangle them). Anyway, they got along famously. Not that it helped my vet bill that Christmas though. :eek:

callinfowl likes this.
  8. black&blueshoulder

black&blueshoulder Elite Refuge Member

That’s an awesome breeding congrats!
    I’d be all over one of those if I could.
    I have a Mya granddaughter in training with Misty right now.

9. black&blueshoulder

black&blueshoulder Elite Refuge Member

Well said Mike

I always look forward to seeing him when I get to

10. fishdog

fishdog Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

A dog bred and trained by Misty? I'd say your prospects are golden! Congratulations!

enzinn likes this.