Old dogs...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Big Daddy Gaddy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. wtrfwlnut

wtrfwlnut Elite Refuge Member

That "OLD" dog Saved our Arses last year in some impossible mud!

Old Dog 2.jpg

2. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

In memorial of my Cody who died in July at 11. He was in great shape and would have made them pay again this year....
    IMG_20150123_143725_863.jpg

3. enzinn

enzinn Senior Refuge Member

I feel pretty lucky. You already know how lucky I am. I am looking forward to hunting with both my old dog and the new pup. In the past when I had the "transition" pup, I loved being able to hunt the old dog for a half day so I didn't wear them out too bad and then let the pup fill out the day.

black&blueshoulder likes this.
  4. enzinn

Four wheel drive, even for an old dog, always works better than watching us stagger around in the mud.

black&blueshoulder likes this.
  5. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

20171104_072708.jpg

Bored but loving every minute...

I'll be in the market for a pup. If anyone knows of a good breeding coming up shoot me a PM please.

6. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

728D0315-0129-467D-B61E-80A13891FA37.jpeg 010ED9D5-6E62-4F07-9503-D64A7BECBD70.jpeg How old is 6? Acts like an old man at home and a pup in the field.

7. black&blueshoulder

black&blueshoulder Elite Refuge Member

I’d call it fortunate to be able to make that wise decision and investment into your next partner. Great people. But yeah I feel lucky too.

I’m liking that I’m not in any rush with this new one and next season I’ll be able to alternate them. Pup’s mama is only 6 and not showing any signs of old yet, but maybe I can give her the easier hunts and hope that she lasts longer that way

8. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

One of my great Springers was a dog named "Caymus" (after one of my favorite wineries).
    He was very large dog out of NFC Brickclose Flint.
    He hunted until he was 15. Of course in the last couple of years we spelled him with the younger dogs, but he would have none of not being out there on the Pheasant opener. We used to stay in a Motel on the south side of Yuba City. In his last couple of seasons I would take Caymus into the room and shower the mud off. Then I would sneak him out into the motel hot tub. He would sit on a ledge big as you please like he was one of the gang, soaking his sore old joints. Other hunters loved it. In the evening I would pour some milk into a bowl with a good shot of Brandy. He would down that, go over in the corner and sleep like a baby.
    He was a king.
    His bloodline ran through many of my Springers.

Dek, black&blueshoulder and API like this.
  9. Gomer

Gomer Elite Refuge Member

B5792D92-9113-483D-9821-FAA9831A5F05.jpeg 10562E7B-82AE-4A5C-B25F-CD227D754C6F.jpeg DA562190-ED21-40A8-959E-E8F7CF6E944D.jpeg Great thread, Mike! Happy Thanksgiving.

At 10, Sage’s spirit and determination is still there but the accumulation of a lifetime spent chasing birds is starting to catch up.

Brottboss, API and black&blueshoulder like this.
  10. enzinn

Awesome photos. I love those grizzled muzzles. Ten years of chasing after birds is a life well lived!

Brottboss, API and Gomer like this.