Old dogs...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Big Daddy Gaddy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. enzinn

enzinn Senior Refuge Member

I have noticed that pheasant, quail and chukar hunting beats up the old dogs pretty bad with respect to their joints. That won't stop them, which is part of the problem. Only hunting them half a day, though, really helped with their recovery for the next hunt. Unfortunately, it is hard to do in California, particularly in October and November, because you can't really kennel the dogs up in the car due to the heat. Easier to do with a trailer or camper nearby, so you can control the temperature for the old dog.

API and black&blueshoulder like this.
  2. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

My old girl Wendy enjoying her retirement. 14 now, sadly
    Had to stop hunting 2 1/2 years ago because of IVDD.

Attached Files:

Brottboss, mudhen, API and 1 other person like this.
  3. Drollz

Drollz Elite Refuge Member

poor richey qqqqmqqqqqqq?

API likes this.
  4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Ruby , Ruby here , Ruby you SOB I said , Here ..........It's not your turn Ruby , you can't retrieve every bird shot !
    Oh , those were the days !

5. Drollz

Drollz Elite Refuge Member

yeah ruby dog thought every bird was hers, same with doc. But he would fight anyone who dares to touch them. He pure Chesapeake Bay retriever, ruby was the opposite she never got grumpy, ruby is still hanging in there.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I currently am trading hunts over a young dog and her first year hunting (Kisa) and Monte who is over 12 now...

Watching the young dog come into her own, and the excitement and fun of seeing her progress into a hunting dog, it is tough to beat the relaxing state of hunting over Monte.... I shoot a duck, and send him, and he brings it back... No fighting over getting him to his "place," little concern over breaking, and his experience is coupled with a drive, that I would doubtfully see in any other dog I own. He can't hear so well, and his marking ability is greatly reduced (likely to cataracts), but he still makes those retrieves that I would think are hopeless.

He put up a rooster this year (about 5 feet ahead of him), and he never saw or heard it get up.... He continued to track it right to the spot it flushed after I shot though.... It was a classic lab flush, with the dog hot on the trail of a rooster, and me trying to keep up through the thick cover (watching that tail spin in a circle as he got closer). Then he made that big loop to run ahead of the bird, and work right back towards me... All I had to do was catch my breath, and let him work towards me... Bird got up about 10 yards in front of me (straight up) and came right towards me... I had to wait to let him get out a bit... Kisa (the young pup) was standing on my heels (but she will learn).

7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Our 14 yr almost 15 yr old has been dealing with the same thing for many years.
    My wife is an RVT, without her this old boy would've been long gone.
    It's sad to watch them struggle but as you can see in the picture, he is still a happy pup inside. Shoot me a p/m if you'd like to know what meds we have found to make pain bearable and his life all around better/happier.
    055.jpg

Brottboss and Ryan like this.
  8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Cherish them when they are here , as those long days of being obedient when the birds won't fly is full of memories .
    We all will miss them when its time and even tho as the new blood takes over , we'll remember the good times !
    I can name a few of mine who worked their tails off for my enjoyment and I'll never forget each and every one of them !
    Yes , they were my best buddies .

9. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

10. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

7pntail,
    I ain't falling for it again, the first time I watched that vid. it made me Well up a little.;):tu

Brottboss likes this.