Old dogs...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Big Daddy Gaddy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Last year at 13. She pretty much sleeps on the couch now. Quit eating dog food about a week ago, but making a duck/rice combo she’s eating a bit of. Going to be a ****ty day soon I think.
    F99F6335-B24A-421A-A9B0-EADA56032692.jpeg

2. BENSSS

BENSSS New Member

two dogs--can only be one alpha male and it better be you--if you are one of the two or you make 3, but i agree that young dogs learn way faster with a good old dog (they train too)-----I'm 74 and think the dogs in my life and hunts--my old dog is 14 and puppy is 1 1/2--I think the best nose I have ever had.

Brottboss and API like this.
  3. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I'm quite impressed that you decided to take on a puppy. :tu

Brottboss likes this.
  4. Socal Waterfowler

Socal Waterfowler Elite Refuge Member

One from this last weekend, 9.5 years young. He was not happy about the mud and sinking in but he got it done.

Attached Files:

renoduckman and API like this.
  5. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

IMG_3304.JPG View attachment 177346 Ol girl here is 13 as of 2 days ago. Shes being retired except for maybe some easy impound hunts this season. Lil brown ball of fire will turn 1 on dec. 28 . Shes always going 100 mph but a retreiveing machine. Been retr View attachment 177346 eiveing everything from doves to geese this season and has captured a place in my heart I thought was only reserved for the ol gal.

green with ring, API and I missed? like this.
  6. Thegoat

Thegoat New Member

I hate most people, I’d die for a good dog. You all have some beautiful dogs, their loyalty and perseverance is astounding. I have a 15 yr old short haired pointer. Not a bird dog but damn the arthritis she still tries to get coons every chance she can.

7. CenCalDucker

CenCalDucker Elite Refuge Member

20171213_133056.jpg
    Angus will be 16 in the spring. He was a hell of a dog in his prime. At 6 months he was doing senior level work. He lived to hunt. Now he is deaf, nearly blind and spends his days napping in the sun. I had to save him from drowning this summer so no more water for him. His hips are giving him obvious discomfort. Its heartbreaking because I know he doesnt have much longer. Despite all this he still has moments when the puppy comes out. He will still retrieve a dummy if he sees the movement, and he will do this nonstop if I would let him. I'm pretty sure he will be the dog by which I judge all others.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    Red foot, I missed? and bojingles like this.
  8. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

FB9521A8-C51A-490C-B99B-8DD250FC4249.jpeg 22906B08-3FEF-40A6-9E30-BBF5E9E34169.jpeg Remember when Angus grabbed that coot out of the air? He sure knows a good strap!!

CenCalDucker likes this.
  9. CenCalDucker

CenCalDucker Elite Refuge Member

I forgot about that! He didn't discriminate, that's for sure! Where the hell was that? Salt Springs?

10. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Had to be Eden Landing.

Or SSR...Lol