Old Guys You Hunt With

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Tailfeathers, Jan 20, 2019.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The 50YO and I have started looking for easier public hunts. We’re gonna have to change our tactics to keep getting them to go.

2. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

9E7624B7-9B28-405E-9F7D-A6ED780E51BF.jpeg Papa Joe. Probably shared close to 100 hunts with him this year.

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

We are all characters, old guys a little more than not. They/ we are set in our ways. I’m 62 and dont take crap from anyone unless its a hunter, they get somewhat of a pass, just because. We’ve all because of our age have been thru a lot in life, have condensed people down to schmits and non schmits. At our age, we Have little patience for dramatic bullschmit. we praise and are thankful for people who do their job, abhor those that don’t and think they are one up on everyone else. Guys that try to play us, get slammed, tore a new one with sharp words, and left to rot.
    Respect and good words to strangers opens new friendships. Years ago I was hunting a salt water marsh area. I hunted next to an old non brushed falling down blind. A waterman pulls up and I asked if that was his blind. (No blind laws). He said it was and I apologized if he was offended, but it being on a point told me it might be a good spot once, maybe again. We got to talk, went back to the docks for something to eat and drink at a dockside bar. This was a bar that the rumrunners would drink in and across a 40 foot courtyard, was the bar the Feds would drink in and they would exchange curses and insults back and forth. He then took his boat out with me and shotgun and shells and showed me all his blinds, told me the tide and wind direction when each blind was good. Showed me two hidden ponds tha always had a few ducks mid day, lazing , to be walked upon.I shot at a few of each pond right there. Lousy shot, lots of laughs. Showed me his unlocked houseboat. Showed me photos of his son, his father and grand pa. as watermen and hunters. Gve me permission like a lot of other good guys were given to use any of the blinds and houseboat overnight or to just warm up and cook food during the day, just sign the book and leave a few cans of food if you used any now and then. Later on and thru the years, Hunted with him and his friends he had since kindergarten. Their Dad’s were WWII guys, their grandpas were the rum runners.
    A few respectful and honest words exchanged between two men can go far.Friendships made.

4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Like @Native NV Ducker, I'm the old fart that others hunt with. Unfortunately, all the older hunting buddies have either quit or have died. I would like to think that I provide sage knowledge, experience and entertainment in the blind but those I hunt with probably think I'm just a babbling old fool.

WHUP ! Hen, Vammy, GK1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

I hear ya TF,been doing this for 45 years and have met a lot of great people in the process. Only run across two a holes and that's o.k. Common courtesy and manners have opened doors and hunting opportunities that are endless...the friendships are priceless! Very fortunate to have experienced waterfowlers teach me in the beginning to be polite and courteous to fellow sportsman and land owners,respect the resource and thank God for the opportunity to participate in his creation!

NCBADGES and Duck_Hunter_TX like this.
  6. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    Mr President 2018.jpg

My Mr. President, still at it at 77 years young.

Fowler267, goosenazi and GK1 like this.
  7. gone goosin

gone goosin Elite Refuge Member

My hunts consist of my son(29), nephew(27), me(55) and my hero, mentor my Dad(79).

Since my Mom passed in March it has been more difficult but he is as tough as the typical Eastern Shore farmboy that he is. He was a guide when he was in his early teens and has plenty of knowledge and stories to tell. By Gods Grace we have had 4 generations(Dad, me, son, nephew and grandson) in the pit/blind on several occasions with pictures to memorialize those hunts. I am thankful for all of our hunts together as I know it won't last forever. I've been blessed to have grown up hunting on family farms, friends farms in Kent, Cecil and Queen Anne's counties in Maryland before all of this lease s h i t started. All of our hunts, good and bad, will be cherished forever.

NCBADGES, Mort, Fowler267 and 2 others like this.
  8. John Ingram

John Ingram New Member

ME2

9. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than hearing this old timer laughing at my a s s for missing easy birds. Sometimes days later.

goosenazi likes this.
  10. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I used to hunt with old guys when I was 35 years old. Now that I am 65 years old....those old guys were just kids.