Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

On the bad end of a drive by

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by GUNNERX2, Jan 8, 2019.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

My son & I were hunting a WMA in west TN last weekend and some dumb fool opened up with either a semi-auto pistol or rifle and sprayed the field we were hunting. Nothing hit anywhere near us but sure got our attention. We called it in but by the time the deputies showed up, the perps were long gone. Don't need that kind of extra excitement in a duck hunt.

2. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Thank God no one was hurt. It's not been but a few years that a young man was killed in a similar event...layout blind and a guy pulled up and opened up on his spread. I think that was in Kansas. The guy was caught, but somehow got a light sentence, if I remember correctly.

3. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Had that happen to me years ago on an out of state turkey hunt when a semi auto rifle clip was emptied on a turkey decoy from a road 150 yards away--luckily I was behind a tree facing away from the road ...lesson: never ever , no never, put a turkey decoy in a field visible to any road.
    I t makes me nauseous from fear to see videos of these fools crawling around with full strut decoys and with road traffic in the back ground, adjacent to the field they are crawling in.

Cameb7mm and Gander View like this.
  4. muddrutt

muddrutt New Member

Wow that is crazy and I’m glad no one was hurt. 10-15 yrs ago me and some friends went to duck hunt a flooded field on a WMA but there were some older gents already there. So we went out of the field into the woods where there was a slough off the lake. Well we were shooting ducks and they weren’t so one of the guys came over and tried to give us a butt chewing and run us off but that didn’t work cause we stood our ground as we were 500+ yds from them. As the guy walked away he unloaded his gun into the woods away from us but he still did it. When he got to the edge of the field he turned around and shot a few more times and rained the pellets down on us. We decided it was time to leave after that and I have never stepped foot on that WMA since then. People are crazy.

5. mallardhunter

mallardhunter Senior Refuge Member

That was you?

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

That’s why I always pack the CWL covered ordnance. A couple cousins were set up on a gravel bar ~200 yards offshore on the lower end of Pickwick reservoir (1960’s) when a couple of inbreds pulled up and opened up with .22’s on their decoys.