North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

On the drawing board.

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by IrvingForbes, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I like how you are powering the boat with a shop vac and that she’s an imboard. I also like how you mounted the engine mid ships and low, like my Shamrock. Imboards rule. :joker
    Also, I am tempted to drive on down just to sit on a stool, drink beer, watch you guys perform your miracle work in building such great boats. All the smelling and deeply inhaling that sweet scent of resin, bringing back my happy childhood memories of being a Boat Rebuilder while fixing up my first cheap, beat up boat at 11 years old in the back yard. She was a 15 foot Lone Star. Sleek, low, long decked. Some rich kid got it and within a year over powered it, cut out the interior, beat and cracked it up and then abandoned her after a years running and now sitting for a few years. The kid was unhinged, a nutter and I benefitted by him and his parents failings. Then I saw her one March day with a tattered $150 For Sale Sign on her. His failed parents were glad to see the boat gone for $100. That resin scent.... Back to times where I’d mow lawns and then ride my bike miles to go and buy a quart of resin and some cloth, one pruchase at a time, every weekend , all summer as my $2,$4,$6 per lawn income allowed me to continue fixing up that sleek boat. One day I was done and she was launched and tied up at the local back yard marina. I continued to mow lawns to pay the dockage fee and fill up the gas tank. Life was wonderful. I had a summer project and boat to keep me focused on good and out of trouble. I also lived ny Dad’s childhood as he , in the 1930’s had an old boat and outboard for his boyhood adventures. I swear, they should make women’s perfume in the scent of resin. :tu

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    IrvingForbes likes this.
  2. IrvingForbes

IrvingForbes Senior Refuge Member

That's a great story. You might be disappointed by the smell of resin. You probably used polyester resin with the odorous smell. I use expoy that doesn't give off those aromas. But you're welcome to stop by and pull up a chair and watch. But please don't be like some and tell me how they would do it! Lol.

bufflehead1 likes this.
  3. IrvingForbes

Back to your story. My first attempt to build a boat was in 1968. A buddy and myself were going to build a hydroplane race boat. We new nothing about boat building or any kind of building except what we built in shop class. I don't think a bookcase qualified us to be boat boatbuilders. We went to the local hardware store and bought plywood and fiberglass cloth. They didn't sell resin but said some farmer in Elizabeth City did.
    We drove to his house and he had his resin buried in a barrel in the ground. My first attempt with polyester resin.
    To make a long story short it was a disaster. We did build it but it leaked so bad he and I would get in the water and hold it up while a buddy would jump in and take off. It was fast but would sink once it stopped. You would run it up on the shore so it wouldn't sink. My first boat!

Jimbob likes this.
  4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

That is one great story. Boys and Hydroplanes. My Dad and his brother had one. It was the 1930's and they went to hydroplane races and got hooked. The bought a Hydroplane, it was a "Jacob's Hull" which at the time was real fine. They got an outboard and super it up best they could back then. They bugged the AC sparkplug rep at the races for free stuff and got some. So they test ran it at the foot of the Atlantic Beach Bridge where the family had a bungalow and where they spent the summers, always on boats. They borrow an old trailer, a car and drive north out of NY City up the Hudson where there is a race. They go through a town and cut a corner and slowly hit a telephone pole with the boat/trailer. Curses and head smacks to the driver, they get to the race. The boat looked ok. So they get her in the water and fire her up. They're big time racers now. My uncle runs her to the starting line...and the gun fires and they're off and he's doing great, then a lot slower and is dropping behind after a mile or so. Uncle Carl looks back at the motor and theres water in the boat. His eyes bug out and he runs her to the bank of a big white mansion with a great lawn. He's soaked and they are very nice, amused that a boat racer would drop in on them like that. He made some phone calls, invited to the table and ate like a king and ogled the girls wearing nice summer dresses. My father and the Team show up and they carry the boat, then the motor all the way up the lawn to the servant's driveway.
    They return home and sold the Jacobs Hull with hull damage. Their racing days were over.

Here's my hydroplane story. It's April and 1968 and one of my friends gets his hands on an old wood hydroplane. It had pealing, once painted red and white, and some blue, and was about 10 feet long and one beat up. but cool piece of race boatery. Had a steering wheel but stripped of her throttle. Thats OK, I had two arms. We get a gang of kids, balance it on the seats of 3 bicycles as a trailer. We take my prized 10 hp 1960's blue metallic outboard and clamp it to the butterfly handle bars of my Sting Ray bicycle and tie the lower unit to the banana seat. Another guy balances the 6 gallon metal tank on his seat, semi secured with an old piece of rope . We all parade down the side streets of our town, old retired guy gives us the thumbs up, others think we are up to mischief. Thats what they called it back then. We parade to the water about a mile away. My Marsh Rat Race Team, clamps my motor to the hydroplane, put the tank in, connect the hoses and squeeze that bulb and we fire her up. Blue smoke from fogging her last fall. She's been sitting in the basement all winter but starts on like 10 pulls, normally one ....maybe two. . This thing has but one seat and since it's my motor, I go first, then the boat owner next, etc. We agree to only run the canal back and forth. Its so early in the season, that no boats are in the water at the docks. So I zoom up and down a few times. Then, it is such a thrill that I am tempted to take her past the canals into the mouth of the bay as each time I go a little further and further...then what the hell, zoom , I'm in the bay wide open and we are flying faster and lower to the water than I ever been in my short life. . Theres a slight chop, no big deal, the boats handling real nice . No big deal until the motor pops up sideways cause one of the clamps wasn't tightened really tight and the torque sent the motor up, pivoting on the one clamp that was tight. The motor revs up high, prop out of the water, and I kill the engine. Then I start pushing the motor down into normal position and this big back wave heads towards me and as soon as I see it, I jump forward but it is too late. The boat had a very short transom and water came in over it. Oh Schmitt! Then more water. Then she slipped stern down, the motor fell off, the tank floated till the hose fitting attached to the motor bent and let go, the boat then slipped more with me and she then flipped over. I climbed on top and she floated that way and I was kneeling on top and out of the water. Just the wind and the waves and the misery of losing a great machine, that was all mine. A lady saw me from her window, came out on her back lawn and told me she called the police. The boat eventually drifted into the reeds and a cop threw me a tangled mess of a once a nicely coiled length of rope. I drifted in, the wind making fun of me but getting me to shore, I grabbed it and when he felt the load , with his force, I went airborne up the embankment and landed at his feet. Two times I flew that day. I looked back. The boat lay upside down in the weeds. A dead animal. A disgrace for such a great design and I was the cause of it. The motor was gone, the tank was floating in the waves. I thank him and was getting ready to go down the incline to pull up the boat and ordered me to stop and that I had to come with him. He had to take me to the hospital. I said I was ok, that just my sneakers and half my pants were wet, so whats the big deal? This was my first but not my last, mouth off to a cop. I started to argue. I said I already lost my motor that I worked all summer mowing lawns last year to buy from my brother for a hundred bucks and if I went to the hospital, I'd get in double trouble with my parents. He said I had to go, that was the law. I should have run, burnt arse thru the reeds and marsh and he'd never find me....but I didn't. I complied, yeah thats the word. Complied. I was used to following my Dad's words and my Scout Masters and teacher's words so I sulked and got in the car. I sat in the front, at least not a criminal. I pleaded and tried to justify him just dropping me off to my Mom as we were kinda passing the house along the way to the Hospital. No go. So the nurse was nice, the doctor too. The Emergency room was a cool place and the cop bought me a soda, but I was moping. I wanted my outboard motor back, all shiny and blue metallic. Ran perfect. Was a mechanized marvel for this here boy and she was freedom from the restraints found on land. And she was gone.....and I killed her. I actually waxed it with my Dad's car wax that winter, rubbed it's nose and worked the throttle and shift a hundred times that winter in the basement. She was on a stand and I'd sit on a chair with a crate on top and pretend I was zooming thru the waves. My brother thought I was nuts. ......and she was gone. One of my friends snuck into the Emergency Room and told me they got they got the boat back and the tank floated out into the bay, and probably into the ocean and to France. Then he saw something behind me and ran. Thats when my Mother came in. I never saw a face like that on her. She went from monster to angel , from funeral to wedding, when she saw I was ok, even though the Cop told her so over the phone. She walked up to me and all of a sudden everything went quiet and all eyes of the Cop, nurses, Doctors, patients were on me and Mom. Her black face softened and she smiled and said out loud, should I hit you or should I hug you.
    Her words hung in the air. I now couldn't care about my metallic Evinrude, my thoughts were on only my Mom. I squeaked out the words "hug me" . Then there was silence. My Mom walked up and suddenly the world went warm again, right there in my mother's arms. There was a communal sigh and the world of that Emergency Room started again and mind did too. That evening I had to face my Dad I was scared. He was understanding and saw that the loss of my outboard and that life herself gave me enough grief for a kid standing there before him . Standing there with the same muddy t shirt and with the same salt water squishing out of my sneakers as it did out of his sneakers back in his day in the 1930,s. My Dad gave me a hug too and said I'd be on the water again.
    So that summer I worked hard to get as many lawn jobs as I could , saved every dime and bought a well used 40 hp Johnson for $225. I washed and waxed her on the stand too. She looked brand new. My parents floated me a loan for the $125 yearly dockage and I was once again a marsh rat Captain of my own boat....at 13 years old. My summer was filled with staying out of trouble, mowing lawns, pirating all the waters of the marsh. Fishing, clamming, walking the shores for flotsam. Adventures every day. We were the most free kids on earth. Best years of my life.
    PS. I thru bolted that Johnson to the transom, super tightened the clamps and had a metal tube lock on there too. One that I made from my grandmother's Electrolux chrome pipes and a drill and a hacksaw. THAT motor was NOT coming off.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Delmer and IrvingForbes like this.
  5. IrvingForbes

6. Delmer

Delmer Senior Refuge Member

Great story Tailfeathers! Sadly, most kids today are tied to the internet and don't venture outside much- its a shame.

Irving- nice work!

7. IrvingForbes

8. IrvingForbes

9. IrvingForbes

10. IrvingForbes