Ongaro's outfitter

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Overthelimit, May 9, 2019.

1. Overthelimit

Overthelimit Senior Refuge Member

I am planning (hoping) to retire in the next couple of years and thought I would treat myself to a Canada hunt. Has anyone hunted with this outfitter in Alberta? Ive watched a few of his videos and seems like he works to get you your limits for the day with morning and evening hunts. Its probably a 24 hour drive to get there from my house, but like I said, it will probably be my retirement gift. Or could someone do the same thing freelance? It looks to be "all inclusive" with lodging and meals included with the hunts....Open to any other guidance as well....Thanks.

2. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

Depending on your level of skill, gear, and commitment you can definitely have the kind of success he does freelance. But if you'd prefer to not worry about extensive scouting, have nice meals made for you, etc., then just pay a guy like Claudio.

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

Facility looks pretty phenomenal, but it still is hunting wild birds. Good days and bad.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Pay to go that first time. Can it be done freelance, yes, but going on hunt like that will jump start the learning curve.

If you like it, seems like you will have opportunity to freelance once your retired.

5. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

My buddy went for his 50th birthday and said it was an awesome experience. He's in one of the videos quite a bit from the time he was up there haha. He said that ducks were a gimmie but the geese were work. For an all inclusive he was more than happy but he did a little freelancing on the way back home and didn't have a problem finding birds on his own.

6. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Senior Refuge Member

Ducks and dark geese were very much a gimme when I freelanced Sask. Permission and birds was also generally easy to come by, especially utilizing Google Earth for an idea where we wanted to be and the RM Maps for landowner info once there.

If you want to target snows though and are not set-up for it, they are nowhere near the gimme. If you are experienced and have the gear for it then I would freelance those as well.