Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Open Boat Launch

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by FinchDude, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I was there a week ago. lower part of the bay itself was open but building ice, but the ramp at Crocheron was 6 inches of ice sitting on top of mud, it opened up near the breakwater. That was the day before the hard single digits hit

2. torrentduck

torrentduck Senior Refuge Member

All this may be fairly well known, but figured update anyway: hunted goose pit near Fairlee today traveling from Howard County. All ponds near pit froze up. Chester river at Chestertown as far up and down as I could see---froze up with a few holes having tons of geese and ducks near town. Chesapeake bay bridge--- many divers on the bay middle and at Sandy Point.....everything looks locked up. Severn river ---- locked up as far as I could see. Sadly did not get as warm today as I hoped.

3. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Today should of shaved a few inchs away

4. rrider

rrider New Member

Checked the river today Pennyfield Muddy Branch Creek was still frozen, but the ice was getting thinner. If someone with a larger boat blazes the trail it should be doable. Like the Mayor had said the Maryland side is pretty open and folks were hunting today launching kayaks on the river closer to the Lock House. It should be interesting with the rain tonight.

5. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

everyone be careful out there if you venture out on the water. even if you can launch there may be large chuncks of ice moving. winds are supposed to be blowing 17-20mph tomorrow as well. have to weigh the risk and reward with the winds and ice.

my buddy told me the mid chester opened up today on his farm on the QA side with the south winds but we wonder what it will be tomorrow with the winds shifiting early tomorrow morning out of the NW. May try to get out in the afternoon for some ducks after trying our luck at geese in the field in the am.