Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Open seat in N ID?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by johnsd16, Nov 13, 2017.

1. johnsd16

johnsd16 Refuge Member

Hard for me to do this as a hardcore waterfowler but I am new to the area and have had a busy fall starting my career and moving my family. I moved to Hayden in august and was a lifelong Minnesotan. Started ducking hunting with my dad when I was 4 and carried a gun every year since I was 11. Grew up hunting small lakes in central MN and also got into goose hunting off and on pretty big. I left most of my stuff behind in MN, 200+ floaters, field rig, layouts, etc, as I don't have a shop here yet. Didn't buy any big game tags since I am a NR until march but have my small game license.

The issue is I haven't figured the area out yet and without a boat or much time to explore the fall is wasting away. If anyone is wanting to fill a seat (field, pond, lake, river, boat, whatever) I'd love to tag along. I've a true duck hunter who loves the misery of slogging decoys and blinds through hip deep mud in driving sleet with the hopes of seeing a few. Also, where I come from stealing a guys spot is worse than stealing his wife (or dog). My best friends from my last location in Mn were guys I met through hunting. We still text every day. They are smashing the geese and putting bucks on the ground and I'm raking leaves (again).

I saw piles of ducks and geese on pend oreille and plan to get a phowler with a surface drive in the next two years. Gotta figure out the shop first. Crazy number of birds up there just before Halloween. Looked like North Dakota.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

3. BandedGWP

BandedGWP New Member

I'm in Moscow, usually hunt solo so looking for someone to hunt with. I have a little jet boat and have been messing around on southern CDA which is about halfway between us. Lots of birds but I don't have nearly big enough of a spread to have alot of success but picking up a few. I usually hunt weekends so let me know if you're interested.

4. johnsd16

johnsd16 Refuge Member

Sounds good. I am going back to MN for some goose hunting for a week after thanksgiving but will be back for the remainder of the season after that. I'll shoot you a PM.

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Im from North Mankato, 29 years ago. Spent most of my time on Swan Lake. And in reality Idaho duck hunting is better thant Mn duck hunting. Plus 107 day season
    Not many places with a black sticky bottom. SE Idaho springs and creeks hold the most of the feed and ducks. A bit of corn is showing up in my area, Thanks to a cattle feed lot.
    We get into geese but it is nothing like many other places; individual refuges and lakes hold more geese back east than all of Idaho.

What town in Central Mn?

6. johnsd16

johnsd16 Refuge Member

I went to undergrad in Mankato, never hunted swan though. I heard at that time it was kind of not doing well.

We have a camp just outside Emily, MN. I'm liking the looks of the long season with the late start.

Late season ice, snow and cold is my favorite time to hunt.