Opening day bird

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by cholt, Mar 15, 2018.

1. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Lol I just saw the leaf on leg it actually was a young bird spurs were only a little over half inch and beard was 5 inches actually went out to roost one for the next morning took off work a hour early and went and set on side of a ridge where they have been known to roost close too. Really didn’t expect to shoot one but heard leaves crunching figured it was a squirrel but then they just kept coming 13 hens and the Jake not sure where the big boys were but he ended up walking about 15 yards in front of me figured might as well kill him.lol lot of people hunt property around mine so you don’t let anything go cause it will die on the other property couple high school boys hunt their parents land. He will eat good that’s for sure.

callinfowl likes this.
  2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Good story and fine bird. They all are, in my belly.....

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The first turkey I ever took on public land did that exact thing. A larger group of hens came walking in front of me, at 10 yards. The last bird was a jake. He was no more than 7 yards when I shot. Killed a tom there the next year, within 10 feet of where I shot the jake. But he came in HOT.