Opinions on Jackets

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by duckdog98604, Oct 14, 2012.

1. duckdog98604

duckdog98604 Elite Refuge Member

Living in the great NW we see a TON of rain.:eek: I have currently been wearing a drake 4-1 jacket and it leaks like a SOB! I have had 2 columbia jackets in the past but I do not really like them. I am thinking of buying a NEW! Cabela's Dry-Plus? Dri-Fowl II? Extreme? Waterfowl 4-in-1 Wading Jacket ? Regular. Do any of you guys have any experience with them? Id like to know the pros/cons and how waterproof this coat actually is. I hardly ever get cold so I am not worried about how warm it is. I really just want to know if your shell leaks or not.

Thanks,

Matt

2. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Out of curiousity, what don't you like about Columbia? I have owned many and have yet to see a cabela's piece of apparel that will stand up to a Columbia item.

I'm a big fan of Cabelas. Not knocking them but for jackets I think Columbia is of much higher quality.

just my .02

3. duckdog98604

duckdog98604 Elite Refuge Member

I dont like the elastic around the waist, the fuzzy part on the top of the collar that briars always get stuck to and my hood always seems to get ripped off while hiking in to the blind on the trail... I think its just time to try something different too.

4. c-hawk19

c-hawk19 Elite Refuge Member

This doesn't answer your question about the Cabela's jacket but Kobuk makes a neoprene jacket that I have never gotten wet in. I reserve it for the real wet days.

5. Duckjunkie194

Duckjunkie194 Elite Refuge Member

Look into the Rivers West gear before you buy. You can wear this stuff in the shower and not get wet. I know that for a fact, cuz I tried it. It doesnt breathe like Gore-Tex stuff, but water doesnt seep in either!

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I almost think 'waterproof' jackets are like waders. Getting a good one is a hit or miss proposition.

I would offer you this advice............

I found another brand today at a big sporting goods store. I am drying my new gloves and my Columbia liner right now.

7. NBHunter

NBHunter Elite Refuge Member

I'm in the same situation you are. Years ago I had a Cabelas jacket that was great. Went to a Herter's and was miserable. Now I'm looking again. Read lots of reviews and I was going to go for a Columbia but everything I read said the the Widgeon II jackets weren't as good as they once were. Pockets are so small you can hardly get a hand in. I hunk I'm going to do the Brush Buster jacket from Cabelas. Not 100% sure yet, but leaning that way.

8. chesapeake honker

chesapeake honker Elite Refuge Member

Rivers West makes great jackets, pricey yes, but you get what you pay for.. Also look at the McAllister wax wading jackets, i have one and tho its a little heavy, it will last a lifetime.. Good Luck

9. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

I have the jacket you are asking about and I love it. Every time we hunt in the rain, I have to listen to my buddies complain about being wet and I'm dry as a bone.:l

10. Hairshark

Hairshark Elite Refuge Member

I just got the Cabela's PIT jacket and am interested in how it will stand up in wet weather.