Opinions on windsocks

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Cocklebur, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

I hunt a lot of public land, so the fact that you can carry a lot of windsock style decoys on your back is appealing. I also have minimal storage space so it would be nice to be able to fit a large spread in a few plastic totes. Finally from a price stand point they are relatively affordable, so thats why I'm curious as to how birds react to windsocks and if certain types of geese (i.e.. snows, specks, and honkers) react to them better than others. I understand that high end full bodies are much more realistic and likely more effective but with the type of hunting i like to do lugging around a bunch of full bodies is just not realistic.

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

All of my windsocks went to the dump in The Great Decoy Shed Purge of '04 in favor of lugging 2 to 5 FBs. It's a bitch to haul 'em all, but even at 67 I somehow manage...

3. Cocklebur

Rick, so in your opinion a handful of full bodies would outshine a few dozen windsocks hands down?

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

That's been my experience - but I'm pretty dang serious about concealment and calling. If you can't "dazzle them with brilliance," it might be better to "baffle them with bull," though I'm virtually certain you'll not find "a few dozen windsocks" nearly enough bull to enjoy what I'd hope most of us consider good shooting. More likely just enough to undercut good calling and concealment.

Spencer5100 likes this.
  5. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

I'm with Rick especially for spec, I don't have experience on refuges but I'd go with 6-12 dsd over socks for specks.

KID CREOLE likes this.
  6. Cocklebur

I appreciate the insight everyone, this discussion definitely helped make my decision.