Oregon’s First-Ever Fatal Cougar Attack

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Sep 13, 2018 at 10:58 AM.

1. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Who said it doesn't?

2. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

I have no fear whatsoever of a cougar attack. I am quite certain that any cougar I encountered would immediately realize, from the intense smell of fresh sH!t, that I was not edible.

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  3. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

From what I’ve heard the state is going to allow tribal members and I think hired hunters to start killing sea lions on the Columbia. They are devastating to the salmon population.

4. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

There are some guys that are very good at calling. Usually during mating season. Calling cougar is an exercise in patience.
    I call coyotes and bears and never had a kitty in sight. Normal set for guys who call is 30-45 minutes and they never approach where you think they will. They understand wind more than any other predator.
    I always have a cat tag in pocket. Never had the opportunity.
    About a month ago, guy who works for me had one cross Hwy 101 infront of him. He pulled over, and cat stared at him for minutes from just inside tree line. Would of been legal to shoot if guy hunted and stepped off right away.
    That kind of stuff would never happen to me. Never.

5. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

Just had a cougar incident on a black cow ranch about a 1/4 mile east of me. It killed a deer and started to chase a calf when the rancher chased it off. Not a remote area at all, but with increasing numbers of cats , burgeoning population ( Seattleites moving east) and the inability to hunt them w/ dogs the chances of a cat encounter with humans/livestock in my area increase substantially every year. The state of Washington manages its wildlife through voter initiative rather than good biology. The voters in Seattle that carry every election will never see the impact of foolish wildlife management, but those of us living east of Seattle live with it.

payton likes this.
  6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

We can only hope. :pra This has been a known problem for more than 20 years and nothing has been done yet. Remember Hershel at the locks? The one the tree huggers and granola crunchers acted like was a pet as he shredded 20 -30 or more salmon/steelhead per day and only ate the bellies of the females. The tribe may get away with it but if anyone other than the tribe is allowed to do it, it will be in court for the next 20 years.

7. Pit Boss

Pit Boss Oregon Moderator

This is a real problem. The west coast has a real issue that is not being addressed!!! Cats, Bears, and Wolfs.

8. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

9. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I have been hunting some unique elk mountains. I do not and will not go out in the dark because of grizzlies. In fact two years ago my daughter and I came off of a stand and saw the largest grizzle ( he was 23 years old had been trapped 7 times, wears a collar and the largest recorded ever in the lower 48). Found where that big griz killed a book black bear last year.
    Crazy people in the woods are my biggest fear.
    Then moose. Ive been treed by cow and bull moose, and watched a momma moose attack a grizzle.
    The wolves have really put a dent in the moose population. 7 years ago on my youngest daughters hunt we saw over 25 different shooter bulls in 9 days of hunting( we were trying for one particular bull.)
    Scouting for elk and archery elk hunting 14 days we have not seen a single moose.
    But hunting up there really revolves around uncontrolled grizzle population.

We need to have a reasonable hunt for each of the big three, lions bears and wolves. And control the population
    My condolences to the womans family and Mark Uptain family.

sdkidaho, widgeon and OneShotBandit like this.
  10. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

For years we have organized in central Oregon, in the Fort Rock area, a February 10 day Cougar camp. The cat in my signature was a 5 year old female shot after spotting it actively hunting Mule Deer. The fist year we did the camp I killed a 9 year old male. It was called in using a mouth call attempting to mimic the sound of a Cougar killing a deer. As for eating them. The 5 year old was very good. The 9 year old was a bit gamy but I learned to process them different than deer/elk from it. You high grade the meat avoiding the areas of tendons and muscle skin. Next one I am going to try a batch of baby back ribs in camp.

The_Duck_Master and widgeon like this.