OT - Vehicle Registration

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by letmwurk, Feb 9, 2019.

1. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

And the politicians then wonder why housing is so unaffordable in the state for the average family and then pass laws like SB879 where the state borrowed and spent $5 billion to "make housing more affordable" that had the opposite impact.

Sweatliner likes this.
  2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Interesting charts.

"...top destinations for those leaving California were Texas, Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon." And what's happening to those states is they have turned, or are in the process of turning, blue. My fear is that if the senate flops and the president turns blue we are all screwed no matter where we live. I hope not, but when I see people electing radical Muslims and communists it doesn't give me a lot of hope for the future.

3. enzinn

enzinn Senior Refuge Member

I see it more broadly as an urban versus rural issue. For some reason unknown to me people in cities tend to want to restrict personal freedom and liberty and impose a larger government upon the citizens. I suppose it might be the disconnect from providing for yourself - rural people are used to making do and relying upon their friends and neighbors for assistance when needed, as opposed to urban people who either pay the government or professionals for their needs. And for some reason city dwellers generally want to impose their culture and morals on everyone else. Some rural groups do that too, but as a sweeping generalization rural citizens tend to just want live their lives without forcing everyone else to think like them.

Even small population "rural" states like North Dakota end up pitting the politically dominant cities like Fargo and Bismarck against the more rural parts of the state. And of course we have seen this play out here in California where the urban areas of Sacramento, the Bay Area and SoCal impose their culture and will upon the northern California citizens while stripping them of the northern California natural resources.

I see some Californians moving to Oregon to escape California, but I think Oregon is just a few steps behind California. You can see the same conflict arising there between the more urban politically dominant region of Portland and Eugene versus regions like Klamath Falls. The mansions and condominiums that sprung up around Upper Klamath Lake were the canary in the coal mine for waterfowl hunting there. We used to hunt honkers and ducks in some of the barley and potatoes right up against the lake until the arrival of money and the new mansions. Some of those opportunities definitely disappeared for a multitude of reasons, but most of those changes seem to trace back to the recent influx of rich people. I think in that case Klamath Falls now has more in common politically with Yreka then northwestern Oregon, at least until the insurgency of wealth changes the balance in Klamath Falls.

In the long term I suspect that we will continue on this track here in California and across the nation with growing cities and the political power shifting to the larger city populations over time, unless we collectively decide to do something different. Because the political power will ultimately lie in the hands of the cities though, I am pretty skeptical that they will ever cede some of that power and create a balance between the needs of the rural districts and the cities. It just isn't currently in our collective DNA to be charitable, generous and balanced - most people behave like a fat person at a free buffet when it comes to politics now. They gorge and gorge on the power and the money until that behavior brings their demise, and then the pendulum swings to the other side and that group follows the same pattern.

This thread was labeled "OT" but I think it has implications for duck hunting and hunting in general. As we shift toward a nation of mostly city dwellers that are disconnected from the land and their food and water, the voters and groups unreasonably focused on banning all hunting, firearms and use of dogs in hunting will chisel away at our pastime. Our numbers are simply too small when compared to city populations and we don't always do a very good job of marketing when it comes to campaigns where hunting or fishing is on the line. I think you can also diagnose this by looking at the other parameters of states dominated by urban centers - high taxes, high fees, large government, giant state pension liabilities, bad traffic, an increase in crime and shrinking natural resource areas with growing crowds. It is all tied together I think.

letmwurk, boodog and Allinodad like this.
  4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I realize this thread has morphed from the original topic. I just checked and when I bought my new 2017 RAM half ton pickup and registered it for TWO YEARS I paid $245 to the State of Idaho. That includes $40 extra for a Fish and Game plate, the proceeds of which go to F&G. These plates do not have the county code that the regular Idaho plates have and sometimes it is nice to be able to fly under the radar in other parts of the state. And we do not have and never had a smog check / inspection requirement.

5. WILDDUX

WILDDUX Elite Refuge Member

I have 11 trucks in my business fleet and the reg fees are absolute BS.

6. Double Reed

Double Reed Senior Refuge Member

Hayden I never understood the whole hype of the first 2 letters or numbers from where your vehicle county is registered from.

There is a Facebook page WOI that had guys saying dumb stuff about plates with 1A in the lots at Fort Bidwell WMA. Really? Who gives a sheiiit?

Glad Paul stopped that one.

I guess it’s no different than judging those who still leave their dealer license plate holders on.

If Idaho had a goose or duck picture I would switch but not into the elk or trout one myself.

7. J-Duck

J-Duck Elite Refuge Member

07 2500hd 6.0$395+smog this year

8. Whatever

Whatever Senior Refuge Member

Just when I move to some State where no one wants to be in...they'll raise the taxes there. Their thirst for our money has no end. My buddy has a small property in OR where he registers his vehicles...motor home, mercedes, boats, new F150. Probably saves 4k a year.

9. tule

tule Elite Refuge Member

Here in Livermore you will be out $110,000 before you break ground. But remember, 75% of that is for low income housing.

10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Wow. Just plain wow.