Ouch!!! My waders hurt!!!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Rope, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Rope

Rope Elite Refuge Member

I have a pair of Cabela's Super Mag waders. I hunted @ 7 HRS. in them today,and when I took them off,I have a ring around my lower calf from them rubbing. Had a pair just like them for many years,and NO problems. It is right at the top of the boot.
    My question is, any DIY fix? Thanks.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Thicker socks?

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Too much bulk around your calf? Extra clothes for cold weather? A lot of walking? Just because an older pair worked well, companies do change specs.

4. xtrema2

xtrema2 Refuge Member

I had a pair of waders that did this too. I think it's the way they are packed in the box and they're kind of flattened out. I found 2 empty cans that fit snug in the tops of the boots and put them in when I wasn't using the waders. After a bit they become more round and won't rub.

5. Rope

Rope Elite Refuge Member

Thanks.I put a 3# coffee can down each leg. Going to give a couple of days and then try them.

xtrema2 likes this.
  6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Cut your legs off?

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I've known two different duck hunters with no legs. One was born that way and the other lost them in a workplace accident. They get around great and don't have to worry about waders.

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Tuck your pant legs into your socks so they don't have any thick folds of fabric near that area. That is what used to cause that issue with a pair of Macks waders I had. I had to fold them like I was blousing my boots in the army, a fold to each side of the shin, over itself, back towards my calf. Then pull your socks over those folds. The fabric adds an extra layer of "skin" over yours, that keeps the rubbing down. Don't let the fabric bunch up. It needs to lay as flat as possible.

The set of Itasca's that I just bought on clearance do it even when I do that, unless I wear two pair of socks. Luckily, I bought ones that were still loose enough at the toes to do that.

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  9. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Did Spence Dupree ever wear waders? I never hunted with him, so I don't know. I do know that he jokingly gripped about his shoes never wore out and were always out of style.

10. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

If you got the the old scratch and itch below the belt penacilon is your friend